Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Press

GunLoad Trainee

Try the Lee Classic Cast press. You can order the L-N-L conversion for it. If you ever decide to load 50 BMG you can do that with it too. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=858110
    Jan. 4, 2007 gasoline $2.10 gal.....HMMM?

I have been handloading for a bit over twenty years. For a lot of that time, I have used a Redding Boss Single Stage Press.
    For a few years I was heavily into long range shooting of a high power rifle. That got me pretty deeply into 'Precision' loading. The Boss was up to the task. I have produced thousands of rounds of .44 Magnum ammunition, buckets full of .45-70 ammunition and a lot of .44 Special loads with my Redding. The Redding Boss is likely the last press I will ever own. It does everything I need to do. And it's practically indestructable. That could probably be said of RCBS, Pacific and Lyman Presses as well. I have no experience with any other 'better' presses.
    I started out on a cast aluminum press, also a Single Stage. I learned enough to know I was going to Handload for the rest of my life. So I upgraded to the Redding. I have bought other assorted loading tools. In fact I now have two Power Measures on my loading bench and I have tried a couple of Priming Tools. But I will not be buying another press.
    The Redding Boss is currently available from Midway for $99.99
    Here's the link.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...373&t=11082005
    Last edited by Brother Jeeter; 10-05-2008 at 04:46 AM.

I started out with a three hole Lee turret press, and it did o.k., but traded it for a single stage Lee Challenger, which I used for a number of years until I bought an RCBS RCII. It will probably be my last press. If I feel the need for a progressive, it will probably be a Dillon, but that would be a long time into the future, if at all.
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

GunLoad Trainee

I want to thank everyone here for your advice. I'm still not sure witch press I will get yet, But you have giving me a lot to think about. I think I will take the class first and than decide.

GunLoad Trainee

Default book

What do you thing of this book ? Looks like it has a lot of good information in it at a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reloading-Book-P...d=p3286.c0.m14

There is some good info in it, but you will get much more, including loading data for everything and in depth explanations, from a bullet maker's manual. Books like that are fine to add to one's data collection (basically all they contain is loading data for a very limited number of cartridges), but they are more of an afterthought than a primary resource. I have several similar ones in my collection, one for T/C Contenders, and single caliber books for the .357mag and .45ACP. My Sierra Manual has more loads and info than all of them together.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Default Starting loading

What you need to do is watch a friend load on his equipment. Ask questions about what he does or doesn`t like about his equipment and WHY! Talk to other loaders, if possible, that have different outfits why they use that brand. In short build up your lungs about reloading first, then your arms reloading. But, do start out with a single stage, you`ll catch on why. Crawl, Walk, Then try to Run!!!

GunLoad Trainee

cidd11,
    If you look at mechanic's post about reloading, there is some good info in there too. I myself have a Lee single stage that I got in their anniversary kit. Good press. I load .45 Colt, .44-40. and .45 ACP in it and have never had any problems. Fairly inexpensive too. But a Dillon Square Deal B is only $350. But I would recommend a single stage and have a friend there to help you get your dies set properly. ASK QUESTIONS!!!!! The only dumb questions about reloading are the ones not asked! Have fun and be safe!

Get a single stage. Way safer. If you HAVE to have something that is alittle faster get the lee classic turret. With the atomatic indexer, it is alot faster that a single stage, but still safer then a full auto.
    As for the RSBS being more, it is a way better press, and has a life or forever, what ever comes first. time garintee, that they will always stick too.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)