Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 41 Magnum

skimmerhead

Smile ruger black hawk .41mag.

i finaly found the model i was looking for last nite on gun broker. didn't like the new models with those plastic hand grips, any way i got ser# with seller and called ruger and its the year i was looking for and 98% grade it's coming home. i ordered a lee
    mold in 210gr swc but not being to familar with cal. are there boolits in this cal. that you would use gas checks with? if anyone has info would appreciate the help.

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good And Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the lyman takes gas checks 410 610 iirc it's a 210 swc.
    doubt you'll need gas checks though.

skimmerhead

Default .41mag

thanks runfiverun i was just wondering if it was out there, i will check out that mold. don't plan on useing gc but its good to know. man .41mag is hard to find been looking every where for brass. have the boolits, have the powder, have the primers, but no brass. might have to buy factory ammo and pull the j word boolits out to have some brass!

skimmerhead

In a quick search of my usual sources I came up empty, too. Post on Classifieds here and on CB for some used brass. Someone is bound to have some sitting around that's looking for a new home.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

www.starlinebrass.com

(Backordered expected availability: 04/30/2010 )

good shooting

skimmerhead

Default .41mag

thanks guys you can't count on starline's availability dates, i'v had an order placed for
    .357mag and .38+p since feb.3 they keep pushing delivery date back. don't know when i'll get em. no matter i found some on gun broker after spending 4hrs and looking at 4000 items! i won the auction. 500 starline new cases. don't know about you guys but i prefer starline over any other i think it's the best but i only load hand guns. thanks for the feedback.

skimmerhead

i personally like starline brass it has lower capacity. half a grain difference measured by velocity, no biggie.
    i have done well with winchester brass in the lighter loads though.
    the 41 doesn't need gas checks. and if data is a pain to find for cast boolits, i will usually just drop back a grain from my 44 loads with the same boolit design.
    my 41's actually favor a p/b wad cutter design i have over the g/c swc for accuracy in the middle loadings.
    the black hawk shoots the wad cutter better at all velocites.
    my hunter model hasn't seen the gaschecked swc much, and might not ever see it again. the way it shoots the wad cutter over 8 grs of unique.

skimmerhead

Default .41mag

i like swc boolits in my black hawk convertable in 45 and my super black hawk hunter in .44mag. i got two lee 6 cavity molds in yesterday but ain't had time to clean um yet. i think one is 190gr and the other is 210gr i think. been busy last few days hauling lead. a couple of my ww contacks called had to go pick em up. then i got a call from a print shop about 60 miles away, and he found out i was a reloader and asked if i wanted the old lino and mono cause they don't use old press anymore. well you know why i been busy. have a lot left to get when he's finished cleaning out that room. turns out he shoots a 9mm since he didn't want any money i loaded him 300rds of 9mm with some j word boolits and he was happier than a kid in a candy store.

skimmerhead

GunLoad Trainee

How about an update there, skimmerhead?
    I found 15.7 grains of 2400 to work fair in my NMBH. The 41 mag is a handful to work with, in Blackhawk or TC Contender. I'm still dialing in a load that works really good, it's relative to my experience and steadiness, neither of which is great in the 41 Remington Magnum. But, I can appreciate the effort of others, and have a healthy respect for that big magnum.
    runfiverun: 16.0 grains of 2400 - That may be closer to an accurate load.
    Ron

i like the 2400 under the xtp.
    the wadcutter type boolit iv'e been using isn't gonna go far so i keep it reasonable for up to 75 yd shots. but man it's accurate.
    with the 210 swc type and g/c i run about 15 grs 2400.
    a friend of mine has a 240 gr plain based [veral] mold for the 41 i'm just trying to catch up with him to get some.