Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looks Like I Might Have A Problem........

Default headspace

duncan,

kg42 has provided some excellent drawings for the cartridge. First, if you increase the pressure to get rid of the backed-out primers all you are doing is hiding a symptom of a problem. It would be best to try to solve the problem.

In the "cartouche maxi" drawing it is the 50.90 length that could help if trying to compare the problem Whelen case to the RWS case that works. Again, in taking those measrements it is not easy to be as precise as might be required to be valid. But, if there are gross differences between the Whelen case and the RWS case then it suggests where the problem may be.
    "You can't have no idea how little I care"- Montelius Walsh

Thanks for that. Am now looking at the problem from all angles and will report back on the solution - if I find one!!
    Duncan.
    "I don't drink water, fish fornicate in it" W.C.Fields

Default 35 Wh-8x60

duncan,
    Please do! Either success or more problems.
    In your second photo it shows two measurements that could be added to get the one I was talking about. I don't know your units but assume metric.

If I read the numbers right and added right the measurements would be:

Whelen case- 46.83 from base to neck junction
    RWS case - 47.53 from base to neck junction
    That is .7 mm shorter which MAY show the problem... Are those the correct numbers? If so then the .7 mm transates to about .027" which are the units Im used to. I think even using the expedient base to neck junction length... the .027" is too much.

You might try re-measuring using just the end points of base to neck junction. That may give a little more precision.

Since we're dealing with up to 50-60 Thou PSI with this stuff I am trying to be cautious here. Even the RWS 8x60 base to neck junction measurement seems a little short at 47.53. The spec drawing that kg42 posted shows that measurement should be between about 50.85 and 50.90. Some of that discrepency may have to do with mesurement error and your rifle's particular chamber- hard to say for sure.

One final thought. Sometimes the simplest explanation can be the correct one. When you have new, unfired brass and run it into your sizing die be sure to keep the die away from the shoulder. If you run it in too far the die may set the shoulder back causing this type of problem. To check for that simply mark the shoulder with a felt tip marker. If the die is contacting the shoulder it will show.

Anyway good luck, and proceed with care.
    Last edited by 405; 05-17-2008 at 01:24 AM.
    "You can't have no idea how little I care"- Montelius Walsh

First thing, 3 grams x 15.43 give me 46.29 grains, or 49.2 grains x 0.0648 = 3.19 grams. I don't know your set up but please look into that .

Then I should have asked earlier if you re-formed the 35's yourself and if the RWS was virgin or had been fired before with a factory load (in an other gun?).

The correct procedure to re-form the 35's would be to size them progressively until they chamber. Theoretically the Whelen's shoulder shouldn't fit, but it is close enough that you might find a "second shoulder" on their necks at the end of the process, if your chamber is on the roomy side and/or your brass on the small side.

A way to find about oversized chambers is to stick adhesive paper on a factory brass/ctrge's head and to gently try to chamber it (I don't remember how much is too much by the industry's standards).

And to clarify my last post, I meant that your lot of converted 35 cases could be fireformed to match your gun's chamber (and identified in case some brass weakness developped).
    Then neck sizing only would indeed be very good idea with such an action.

kg
    Last edited by kg42; 05-16-2008 at 11:14 PM.

KG. My load is ALWAYS in grams because the scales are in grams so the actual charge is 3 grams. Must have been malfunction of digit on calculator keyboard!

I am certainly going to look at things and will get back to this thread in due course but I have got to put a new ceiling into my mothers lounge starting Tuesday so I am going to be a bit busy for a while!!
    Duncan.

Default Sorted!

Having tried the above today there was no problem with primers partly coming out so it would appear that the load was TOO mild and the cases formed from Whelen were just not capable of re-forming to 8 x 60s which the SAKO have.
    Duncan.