Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Favorite deer hunting caliber

GunLoad Trainee

savage model 99 in .22 savage hipower

GunLoad Trainee

If looking for one do all rifles I would say the 308 Winchester. I own several rifles but this being in the reloading section. The nice thing about the 308 Win, you can down load to a very mild easy on the shoulder load, too real close to factory 30-06. I reload several rifle rounds but have never had trouble finding the bullet brand or weight in .308 I wanted. Other caliber’s I can not say the same about. Hands down the .308 bullet is the most reloaded hunting round in the US. So most gun shop have a good selection on hand. The only other caliber reloaded, as much would be the .224. And with all the AR shooters I have ordered .224 bullets and the dreaded back order appeared on the screen. I own 6 rifles I would not hesitate to use on Deer. 3 -30 cal, 2-7MM, and one 270. All have dropped Deer. My favorite, that’s the one I am carrying that day. I also own a 22-250, not one of my picks for a Deer rifle but many Deer have been killed cleanly with one as well. Any of the rifles I mentioned or previous poster have will take deer if you do your part. I would look at your hunting area, and match the rifle and round to the hunting area most likely you will be using the rifle in. If just for Deer one of the 30s, if predators are in your future the 243 may be a better choice both.

GunLoad Trainee

Your .303 British is a fine deer rifle. I like the 30/06 and that is what I usually hunt with. On occasion I will grab my 35 Rem or my M10 Ross ( .303 Brit ). Choose the caliber that strikes your fancy-if you do your part the bullet will do its part.

GunLoad Trainee

Love my savage 1920 bolt action in 250 savage made in 1926. Why??? Well I have been working with it this year and found that nobody had really looked at it with all these new powders. The 250 savage is a very efficient cartridge. It's so efficient I have built a precision rifle on it. Get this load for varmints- 42 grs varget under a 75 gr VMAX which from my 22" barrel gives........3480 FPS!!!!!
    Now for deer - 36.5 grs varget under a Sierra 90 gr HPBT avg FPS is 3050!!! With a 1:14 twist.
    Devastating on whitetails. Recoil??? What recoil!!! Great for women and beginners and kids.
    SB
    Last edited by savagebrother; 11-29-2017 at 02:02 AM.

Never have a bad word to say about the .250Sav. Never had much interest in it for varmints as its necked-down .22cal bro does that for me just fine, but it is a deer killer par excellance. I load for a pair of Sav99's, 100gr GK's and PAR's over 3031, 2.5-3" groups @200yds, somewhere between 27-2800fps depending on how hot or cold it is, both rifles more than 100yrs old. I've been loading for them for 25+ years and a lot of deer have been taken with the old girls. It would be a lot of fun to have a bolt action in .250....
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I love the 250 Savage. I have a stubbed 16" barrel for my contender. But earlier mention was of 7 mm bullets. The 7-30 Waters is my absolute favorite.
    Name:  7-30 waters w target.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  75.9 KB
    Last edited by gemihur; 07-21-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Today we load.
    Season starts, We kill! ... 444 Marlin in 14" SSK Hard Krome Bbl w/ homemade furniture
    Name:  444 with bipod sm.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  85.6 KB

This ain't a place for advertising Russian investments.
    Where's a moderator when ya need one?

trashed site
    these days
    a pity
    Last edited by gemihur; 03-12-2021 at 01:29 AM. Reason: felt sorry for it

I just cleaned up a crap load of spam. Sorry this place has been neglected.