Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite deer hunting caliber

Agree w/Chris 112, took my 77 Rug in 7x57 to Africa, took 10 heads with it out to over 400 yds. That said, I hunt deer in central Ne. and shots can be to infinity (or so it seems) Little to no timber, so I seem to have grabbed the 7Rem Mag. the past few years, but would be just as happy with 7x57. Have taken deer with 222 (where it was legal), 243,7x57,7Rem, and 06. If I were woods hunting would probably be satisfied with on old 94 Win in 30-30. You have to hitum to gitum, and you have to hitum in the right place. It is bullet placement that counts regardless of what you shoot.
    1Shirt!

Definately a 7MM make mine a long action

GunLoad Trainee lon_in_thewoods's Avatar

I think my favorite has been which ever I was carrying at the moment. Indiana has just recently went to rifles(pistol caliber) I currently have a .44 mag and .357 maximum. I am just starting to reload. With the prices of shotgun slugs vs rifle (handgun)ammo, you can bet .44 mag and .357 max will soon be my favorite deer cartridges.

Lonny

I am a deep woods kind of hunter for the most part . I occasionally get to hunt around corn fields. My two choices are .44mag mod. 92 trapper and .308 Mossberg ATR100 I really like both of these and they seem to get the job done, if I do my part.

Handloading Addict airborne556762's Avatar

No doubt has to be the 300 WSM and 280 Rem calibers. Very easy to handload for and in my Browning Abolt II composite stalkers (in both calibers) topped with Leupold scopes that are absolute tack drivers in both factory ammo and the handloads.

I have hunted in 30 different states (from Alaska to the southeast US) and now live in the upper midwest where long range shooting reigns. You have got to have really accurate rilfes or in some cases you will be eating deer tag soup for the winter.

These two calibers are not only my most favorite deer rifles but I would use the 300 WSM on everything in North America using the right handloads for it. Works for me!!!!!!
    Charlie Co. 4th Bn 325 Airborne Infantry Regiment (AIR)
    Combat Operations - Just Cause, Desert Shield/Storm
    82nd Airborne Division, Ft Bragg, North Carolina
    Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
    "Airborne Rangers lead the way!"

USCCA, NRA, NWTF, RMEF, and DU member
    "Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill humanely, never apologize!"

GunLoad Trainee

Hmmm lets see.

Browning BLR in .308
    Remington 700 Custom in 7mm-08
    Howa Custom in .257 A.I.
    Remington 760 in .300 Sav.
    Ruger Redhawk .44 mag.

To many to choose a favorite. They have all killed deer. They all shoot great. All have been easy to reload for.

I guess my favorite would be whatever I grabbed from the safe as I was going out the door that day.

GunLoad Trainee

My favorite would have to be a toss-up between the '06 and the '06. I have taken many deer with my .30-06 Rem 760 and also lots of deer with the Parker Hale in .25-06 Both are very competent to do their job and it primarily just depends on the area I am hunting and who I am hunting with. Lately, my son has wanted to use the .25-06 so I get to use the .30 a little more often. Although, as I get older, the 6mm Rem is looking a lot more like a deer rifle instead of just a varmint gun.

If I am on a combo deer/elk hunt, it is definitely the .30-06 loaded with the 168gr Barnes TSX. Quite the performance and accuracy.

It's all about the shot placement. Your favorite should be the one you feel the most comfortable with.

My favorite Deer Hunting Caliber is a 25 06 & 7mm 08. Both of these calibers are easy on the shoulder and very accurate. I also have some big guns for different situations.

GunLoad Trainee

I've hunted for years with .270 Winchester until a gunsmith (and gun dealer) convinced me to switch and buy a .270 WSM stainless Model 70. I have hunted it for 9 years now, and I have made some decent long shots with it and have no complaints. Factory ammo is expensive, but I reload for it and it shoots true and flat.

Pegasus1

I have shot a lot of deer in Missouri with a 30-06 and it would be my choice
    Others have suggested a 7m-08 which is a great choice, but one I haven't seen is the 260 Remington. It is just a little smaller the 7m-08 and a pretty accurate round.

Like others have said post up with what you decide on.