Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite deer hunting caliber

GunLoad Trainee

I still like the lever actions so my favorite for deer is the .250-3000. None of the deer I've hit with that one have gone far at all. Other rifles and calibers have been tried but I always go back to the old .250.

shooter39629

My favorite is the 7-08 followed by my 270. I have several 30-06's, and a 300WSM. The 7-08 and 270 are in my favorite rifles a Remington model 7 and sendore

GunLoad Trainee

New here..first post. I vote for using my Marlin 336 lever action in 35 Rem when hunting here in Wisconsin. I use my handloads of 200gr Rem Cl's or 158gr Horns jhp's. Both have been very successful for me. Great forum just because I love to reload ALL my centerfire guns. Birds of a feather..you know...lol

try the 7-08or the best cal ever made 270 winchester i think you carry the rifle more you
    shoot it so get a light one there is nothing wrong with the 3006 eather
    A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

Hunting Fanatic

My favorite deer caliber is my .25-06 followed by my .270 Win, then my .30-06. All are great deer rounds.

In revolver 41 Mag

GunLoad Trainee

I am wondering if Drklynoon ever got a new gun?????????? If someone notices him posting see if he will come back here and post which way he went. I hope it worked out.

I use either a .257 Roberts with 117gr spitzer or a 7x57 with 120 gr. spitzer...my hunting is generally done with ranges from 75 yds to 250 yds. My 308 and '06 pretty much sit in the corner during the deer season. I find both the .257 and 7x57 really easy to shoot accurately, and they are lighter in weight than the 30 cals and magnums.....

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by drklynoon View Post
    I am wondering what every one feels is the best caliber for north american deer. My brother uses a 300 win mag which I consider to be a bit of insanity but it's his shoulder. Right now I'm usin a 303 british but am considering upgrading before next winter. I am leaning towards a 30-06 just becuase of it's versatility in reloading and use. Maybe the .308. Then again I doubt I'd need anything bigger than a .243. So what do you guys think?
    Its awfull hard to beat a 180 grain 30 06 when it comes to Deer if you are aloud to shoot em in your state.

I have one in a Remington 700 and in a 710 (I know every one shutters at the mention of a 710) but The 710 holds a better group but you can't tell anyone what your shooting.
    Last edited by Bill Church; 01-11-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: bad speeling

GunLoad Trainee

Default Favorite caliber

Probably the 7X57 in a Ruger M77. All one shot kills with it.
    Only tried the 308 once. Satisfied but not any better than the 7X57.
    Need to take the 6mm Rem one of these days. But I have a feeling that it will work just fine.
    Don't plan on ever triing either of the 22 centerfires. Just don't think it is a good idea.