Thread: .32 lee mold crimp

Default .32 lee mold crimp

I have a lee mold that I'm using for my .32 H&R mag it's for a .32 but the mold drops around .313 to .314 so it works pretty well. It's a 100 gr with standard lube grooves. My question is were to crimp the bullet? It does not have a crimp groove. I crimped it at the top of the front driving band. What would you guys have done?
    Nathan

Casting and reloading newbie

Same, kind of, as I rely on neck tension and only apply a marginal crimp in revolvers.
    The design looks like it comes from the black powder era, when bullets sat on the load and were grabbed on the nose ( or LEE's people have big fingers and cannot put a crimp groove on tiny bullets ).

Do you shoot them as cast? How big is your expanding plug?
    Any vertical stringing of your groups?

Part of the crimp groove usefulness is to prevent the bullet to be pushed in the case when shot from a tubular magazine. Your nose crimp is probably fine.

kg

Yeah I shoot as cast and have not been water dropping them or anything I haven't got to shoot it yet. I just loaded them up today and can't go until thursday ugh. I think this bullet is a 32-20 design but it should work. I don't know what you mean by expanding plug. sorry still kindof a newbie. What I'm a little worryed about is that my crimp goes into the driving band and what is the lube going to do when the bullet exits the case. This is a starter load so I hope it doesn't lead real bad but if it does I'm going to change some things up.
    Nathan

The expander prepares the part of the case where the bullet will seat, both flaring the mouth and expanding the neck.

They are concerns about shaving lead and lube, and it is recommended to lightly chamfer cases before using lead bullets. Your reloading manual should mention it

Now I'm following ya sorry about that I have no idea how big the expander die is inside. It works well meaning I don't shave any and can actually sit the bullet inside the expanded portion of the case. As far as my chamfer I tend to put a little more chamfer on my cases then I should due to the cutter blades on my case trimmer being dull and it puts a hard ring around the outside of the case mouth.
    Nathan