Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nees ome help !

I know it's been a while but I finally got to the range and tried those Buffalo Bore .45 Colt 325 gr/1325fps rounds. Well in short, I ain't gonna do that again till I get a recoil pad!!! Those rounds are pretty heavy in this little 20" barrel Winchester. I was honestly amazed at the recoil. I think I'll save them for something much larger and better tasting than a piece of paper.
    Well, I said I'd post the results and there they are. I have no idea how accurate the round is, as I only shot 3 of them. They were just too much with no recoil pad... OK go ahead and call me a wimp.. I deserve it....
    "Be brave as your fathers before you. Have faith and go forward" Thomas Alva Edison"

you aint no wimp
    i have a nice shoulder bruise from some 44mag loads and they are only 240 gr
    92's are just not bench rest friendly the 100yd 1 1/2" braggin group was worth it ?
    those sooty cases don't look so bad now i am betting...

Ever since, at age 8, I touched off a .30-30 m94 with a 170gr load, it has always amazed me how much felt recoil those light little levers can produce. I hit the target, but it was 5 or 6 years before I fired anything bigger than a .22. I much prefer shooting the .30-30 out of a 10" Contender - it's much less abusive. With a SA revolver and a similarly hot .45Colt load, it rolls up in your hand distributing the force over a longer time and letting the arm muscles take up some of it instead of transferring the whole thing to the unprotected bones of your shoulder through a hard (or metal!!) butt plate.

You don't notice it when hunting, but then you aren't leaning into it and you don't fire more than two shots. From the bench I always use a Past recoil shield when shooting anything bigger than a .250Sav. It helps me concentrate on the shooting while testing loads, and I often will shoot several hundred high power rifle rounds through several different rifles during a range session. It's not wimpy to choose to avoid a bruised shoulder, and being sooo macho that you develop a nasty flinch does nothing for your shooting accuracy and renders any results from the testing useless. The other plus to the recoil shield is that it mimics the thickness of a winter coat during warm weather practice so you aren't losing time trying to find the sights while the buck is heading for the next county.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775