Thread: Loose Ends

Default Loose Ends

What with all the packing and cleaning I haven't had much time to load or shoot, but I have begun to attack my pile of unloaded brass. Got the 8x57's all done - cast tests of RL-15. I have never tried it before, but it was Paul's favorite for his .308 and there were a couple of pounds of it in the powder stash he left me. As I have subMOA jacketed loads for my own .308 already, it has been gathering dust. I figured that since it is an extruded powder it is safe to reduce for cast loads so I am trying it in the WWI vintage Mauser in my quest to get a load that does better than 3". (Not that that's too shabby considering, but it will keep jacketed bullets under 2" so I think I ought to be able to do as well with cast if I can find the right combination with the Lee 175gr RNGC.) Dog knows when I'll have a chance to shoot them, but at least the brass is all loaded and off my todo list.

On the schedule for the next hot day we will head to the cool basement for a day of casting four or five different rifle bullets and another day of massive amounts of handgun bullets so I can pack up the casting stuff. Then we'll be loading all them up so I can pack up the loading tools and supplies.

With a little bit of luck I might get an afternoon at the range this week to finish the current round of K31 tests. Then we can get all those cases reloaded and packed too.

I just got a new 3/8" thick 6" round gong from Sportsman's Guide for rifle practice that we will set up at 100yds. Supposedly it will handle jacketed bullets. We shall see. In the package with it was two boxes of boxer primed 8x56R's for the straight-pull to shoot up, then I'll have some brass to start testing in that.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

You moving?
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

Yes, the house is almost on the market. Still waiting on a secure storage unit to move furniture and boxes into to do the rugs and finish cleaning. We will be here through August even if it sells right away.
    "Stand your ground.

He is moving in with you Clay...
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

The dog does like him HR, but I don't know if she likes him that much. The cat likes everyone but she's 15 and getting senile, so you never know. And there are way too many people down there where he lives for me.

I'm going to avoid civilization in my declining years. We've been living right in town so my youngest could walk to school instead of spending 2-3hours every day on a school bus, but she's all graduated now. I want to live where if I fart too loud news of it doesn't end up in the local gossip column, where I don't have to listen to other peoples' dogs barking all day, their wives moaning in the still of the night, and their horrendous taste in music blaring at full volume to drown out the barking dogs. And it would be nice to be able to crack off a few rounds in my back yard when I feel like it instead of driving twenty miles to the range.

I'm looking at a place today that's about a mile from my friend's farm/shooting complex. If it isn't a dump the location is perfect. You can't see it from the road and the driveway is cabled off so I have to take the housepimp's tour with the lady that has the keys. Like Moe said: "We shall see what we shall see."
    "Stand your ground.

Your dog has poor taste in humans

I couldn't live in a town or city. My neighbors are enough for me...

They started to build small developments around me but the old farmer put 2 of the large field around my house into AG preservation. He had around 70 acres.

I would love to buy 70-100 acres in the middle of nowhere to move to when I retire...
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Vers,
    You moving across the line into the land of skidda bitches and BMWs?
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

bump...............................
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

Not many beemers up this way, Clayt, except near Scumday River. Not a lotta skidda bitches either. Maybe I can find one with at least a few teeth.
    "Stand your ground.

What do you want teeth for? Now it's hamburger instead of steak and great oral sex.