Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookie reloader looking guidance and advice

Some of the manufacturers have videos posted on their websites too. I am not familiar with that press other than its a benchrest aka portable press.

http://leeprecision.com/help-videos.html
    http://www.rcbs.com/resources/videos/

Post a list of gear you purchased and we can see what you are missing, really need or should consider buying.
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

You never know what you will need. I have a Lee Hand Press, Lee Turret, RCBC Chucker and now a RCBS Summit. I gave a new reloader a RCBS JR 2. As for what is up north I will need to check. Why do I have them ???? I have 2 hands and 2 feet but am not coordinated enough to use all 4 at one time. I have dies for calibers that I will never load again or never loaded at all but might someday. I gave one electronic scale to my grandson so I have one now and 2 beam scales and a set of Lee Dippers. Do you really think that I triple check my powder? It is a hobby that can get out of control. I work for my hobby. LOL Once you are confident do NOT be afraid to try new, at least to you, toys.

I have a bunch of stuff too. Just want to make sure he isn't missing any major steps.

Off the top of my head (large items only)
    4 manual powder measures - 1 rcbs, 2 belding & mull, 1 hornady
    1 rcbs digital powder measure/scale
    2 beam scales
    Rockchucker and Lock-n-load presses
    2 brass trimmers
    1 vibrating tumbler
    1 sonic cleaner
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

Another little item. .223 Remington specs and max pressure are from SAAMI (Sporting Arms And Manufacturers Institute) and 5.56 mm specs are from NATO. .223 Remington max pressure is 50,000 CUP and 5.56 mm is spec'd at a max pressure of 60,000 CUP according to several sources. Things changed when NATO got hold of that round. Chambers for .223 are usually (but not always) shorter too. A Wylde chamber would get the .223 to a length to handle the 77 gr. bullets used in some 5.56 loads. Some of this I know, some is from other sources so take with a grain of salt.

I just came upon an article yesterday in the January '15 GUNS mag that has a lot more detailed explanation about the 5.56/.223 differences and much about it that I didn't know. The article is in the "UP on AR's" column by Glen Zedicker and is titled "Chamber Choices". It is quite an eye-opener and should be required reading for anyone who loads the 5.56/.223, us old farts included. I thought I knew a good bit about it when I wrote the above post, now after reading it I know a good bit more. Glen does his research carefully and he's one of the few current gunwriters that I have never caught in a serious error in all the years I've been reading his work. I wish I could say the same of most of GUNS' other staff writers, but less than half of them make the cut. Still, there are at least two and sometimes four good articles in every issue that I learn something useful from. That, American Rifleman, and GUN TESTS are the only three I still get. (And I'd have given up on AR years ago but as a Life Member I get it free.)
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

With technology available like FaceTime, it would be pretty easy for most of us to "sit" with you and show you some things first hand. Seeing a video is one thing, watching, doing and being able to ask questions while you do it is entirely different. Do you have an iPad?

BB

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

Default Experienced magazine writer died from reloading mistake(s)

We only get one big mistake. The idea is NOT TO MAKE IT.
    If you have a weak stomach, skip this.

In relation to what Vers said,
    this is about 10-15 years back.
    An experienced reloader and gun magazine contributor went to his private range not too far from his home to test some rifle loads. After several hours when he did not return someone went looking for him. He was found lying on his shooting bench where an apparent overload had driven the bolt from the rifle backwards shearing the locking lugs off and sending it out of the gun through his eye and brain.
    Just supposition but I would guess he tested several hot loads for an article and the bolt lugs finally had enough.

GunLoad Trainee

Default мешки для мусора

Купить мешки для мусора в интернет-магазине
    мешки для мусора мешки для мусора.
    мешки для мусора мешки для мусора.

GunLoad Trainee

Default Бахилы

Самые Популярные Бахилы
    бахилы от производителя оптом бахилы от производителя оптом.
    купить бахилы москва купить бахилы москва.