Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PA Deer Season

My season is over. A doe lost the battle vs a flintlock on Saturday morning. I had a hang fire and missed a doe a bit after 7, then I had a misfire but I got lucky resetting everything and hit the doe on the second try. I saw 22 doe until 9:30 and 2 doe putting a drive on for the neighbors in the afternoon.
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Cool! What's up with the misfires? Wet powder? Bad flint? Piece of crap gun? Short behind the trigger?

BB

Not 100% sure. Loose nut behind the trigger...

I use a nipple pick religiously to cut down on ignition issues.

The hang fire might have been my fault. I was playing with a duplex load. I threw a bit of 4f in first so it would take off faster. Might not have been a good idea since it was damp in the morning.

The misfire was due to me not wiping the flint off after the early shot. I usually run my glove across the flint to get any fouling off it.

The flint is one I had on for awhile for target shooting. I usually switch out to the "hunting" flint but I didn't bother. My hunting flint is a typical hawken flint that I knapped into a W. That SOB sparks like mad but its bad for the frizzen. So I only use it for hunting.

I shot the load out this morning at home and it took off instantly with 3 day old powder...
    -----

I like the flash holes that are shaped like hour glasses. Have found then to be much more reliable. Have you ever tried a duplex load with pyrodex? I seen a can of ff pyro for 17 bucks at walmart and bought it knowing that it was a really good deal. I've never used it. A buddy uses pyro only in his flintlock and swears by it. Just wondering if anyone else has had success with it.

BB

I could do some work on the flash hole. I was reading up on that a few weeks ago.

Never tried it in a flintlock. It is harder to ignite so it is mostly used for inlines.
    -----

That's what I've always thought too! I'm going to have to try it in my flinders just to use the stuff. Don't have an inline.

BB

You might be able to get away with some flash powder under the pyrodex.

I gave up pyrodex and switched to 777 in my inlines about 6 years ago. Pyrodex seemed to easily draw moisture and give you bunny fart loads. The one day I shot a 2 day load out, the primer pushed the 2 pellets/sabot out of the barrel and a few feet downrange.
    -----

Interesting you say this... On the pyrodex can it says you can load 5gr of black powder followed by a 5gr reduced load of pyrodex in a flintlock. I think this will be a good way to use it up.

BB

Hey Hellrazor I did not mention GIVING me bullets. I have some ww ingots I would like to trade for 38 bullets. My ass does not need any help either.

GunLoad Trainee

Default PA Deer Season

Ill be hunting hwy 20, 65, 70, and maybe get in some 49 if I get the time to head over there.

seriously though...my hunting is going to be in Idaho this november. It should be fun though, its rife season for deer and muzzleloader for elk.

http://www.sus.co.ua
    Derpioli