Thread: 40-65 WCF loads?

GunLoad Trainee

Default 40-65 WCF loads?

Just found this site, kinda by accident. Anyone have some reloading info for the 40-65 WCF with cast bullets? GC or plain base will work. I have started working up loads with a 260 gr round nose flat tip bullet using IMR 4198 for my Sharps replica gun. I started with a load of 23 gr. and have arrived at a final load of 31 grains. Extraction is sticky above 31 grains. Also wondering about just how fast I can push a plain base bullet and if a wad would help. Since I found the starting load in my Cartridge Conversions book, I have looked for more loads with a slower powder but to no avail. Any suggestions or help would be seriouslt appreciated.

Default Took This From Load Books

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    Just found this site, kinda by accident. Anyone have some reloading info for the 40-65 WCF with cast bullets? GC or plain base will work. I have started working up loads with a 260 gr round nose flat tip bullet using IMR 4198 for my Sharps replica gun. I started with a load of 23 gr. and have arrived at a final load of 31 grains. Extraction is sticky above 31 grains. Also wondering about just how fast I can push a plain base bullet and if a wad would help. Since I found the starting load in my Cartridge Conversions book, I have looked for more loads with a slower powder but to no avail. Any suggestions or help would be seriouslt appreciated.

here is what i got it is right out of the loading books as i dont have a 40-65
    theIMR 2007 SMOKELESS POWDER RELOADERS GUIDE =ON PAGE 28 AS STARTING
    LOAD11 gr trail boss for889 fps with a 400 gr lrnfp maxof 12 gr at 915 fps

the lyman#48 reloading handbook has on page 281
    thay have a 410660 cast bollit at 385gr starting load 21.54198 at 1271 fps
    &11800 presure
    the lyman has 3 differnt cast loads a 385 ,2 400s
    the moulds are 410660 410665 .,and410663
    LYMAN SHOWS NO J-WORD
    I GUESS THAY THING IF YOU ARE SMART ENOUGHT TO USE A 4065 YOU KNOW TO USE CAST HOPE THIS HELPS

TOM
    A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    testhop again
    the lyman book has loads for 40-65 with 4895,3031 varget if you can look at a #48 if not p.m me or e-mail and tell me what you need andi will get it to you from my copy but 4895 looks the best

tom
    A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks a bunch guys. I bought some cast 260 gr. boolits to try out on the local deer populations. worked up a load that works but I kinda hoped there were others out there that were crazy enough to play with the cartridge. Looks like I need to get a Lyman reloading book really soon. Haven't loaded cast projectiles in the past in a rifle cartridge so I am getting into a whole new area. Plenty of books but I have learned that people who have done this seriously have a lot more info and some really good tips to share. Thanks again.

Also decided to try some cast boolits with GCs in my home built 98 Mauser that I chambered for 375 Winchester; anyone have some loads? BTW I'm using 250 gr FTRN boolits from a commercial source. Just got the mold to cast my own!
    So many games, so little time!