Thread: 105 Gr .38/.357 cast boolits

GunLoad Trainee

Question 105 Gr .38/.357 cast boolits

G'evening gents,

I've "inherited" about 25 lbs of 105 gr TCFPBB, commercialy cast, lead bullets. Along with the boolits came a sealed 8lb jug of h110 powder.

I can find no load data for this combination in any of my handbooks or online (cowboy or other).

Anybody have a safe starting point? I'd like to use them for my many paper hunting trips out of my 686-6" and maybe out of my Puma 92 carbine.

I have the parts to load either 38 spl. or 357 mag.

Thanx.
    woodsoup

Welcome to the forum woodsoup.

H110 is a no go with the .38spec. Too slow, even for loads in the +P range.

Sierra lists 110 jacketed loads for .357mag with H110.
    Test firearm was a Colt MKIII Trooper with a 6" bbl.
    18.5gr @ 1350fps to a max of 20.4gr @ 1550fps.
    Velocities will be slightly higher with the lighter cast bullet. Commecially cast bullets vary a lot in size, hardness, and lube, so you never know until you try them out.

H110 usually gives better results in the .357mag with heavier bullets, 140-180gr, but it's certainly worth a try, considering you have so much of it. In general though, there are better powders to use with light bullets, so if you are not happy with the results, try a faster powder. Unique and Bullseye are two good ones and they will work really well in the .38spec, too.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

That's what I was afraid of!!

Guess I'll put some 180 gr. RNGC on that H110, say about 12-13 gr to start, in 357 mag, and some Bullseye behind those 105 gr bullets, maybe 4 gr to start in .38 spl.

Anudder question? Could I resize these bullets to .356 (9mm), they measure .3575"- .35875" (sample of 15)? could there be a Lee sizer in my future?

You could resize them if necessary, and it might be a workable solution. They are a bit undersized for .38/.357 which usually shoot best at .358-360". I would not bother without first testing them in a 9mm as they are. I think you will find resizing them to .356 will be detrimental to accuracy, but the only way to know is to do the actual tests and see what the pistol likes. Generally, you want a cast bullet to be up to .003" larger than groove diameter. Sometimes however, larger bullets will distort cases and not feed or fit properly in tight chambers of pistols and revolvers, even if the size should be optimum for accuracy in the barrel. Lee Factory Crimp dies in pistol versions have carbide sizing rings that can cure some feeding problems. It never hurts to experiment - every gun is different - and even if the experiment doesn't work out, you still learn something important about the gun's preferences.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Well i just finished loading 20 .357 mag with 13.5 gr H110 and 180 gr RNFPGC bullets. and 20 .38 spl. with 4.5 gr Bullseye and 105 gr TCFPBB cast boolits. Guess I'll look up a starting load for 9mm and make up some of those too. Tomorrow is range day!!! I'll let Ya'll know.

Thanx Guys.

GunLoad Trainee

Thumbs up My 105 gr/H110 problem

UPDATE:

.357 W/180 gr RNFPGC boolits, 13.5 gr H110= a real eye opener No signs of over pressure or leading w/ 20 rounds through the tube. Last 6 rounds into a 8" paper plate with open sights @100 yards off a front bag, with a Puma 92/20" carbine.

.38 spl w/105 gr TCFPBB boolits over 4.5 gr Bullseye= Same 8" pattern out of the Puma after Max elevation adjustment of sights. No signs of leading. Me thinks this Boolit don't like this range (100 yds). Did OK out of the 686 at 25 yds but nothing to write home about.

9mm using 105gr .38/.357 105gr TCFPBB boolits (unsized) over 4 gr Bullseye= accurate to 30 yds but wouldn't cycle the Sigma. Next try is 5 gr Bullseye. No signs of leading. This one might be a keeper if the gun cycles correctly.

I gotta get me a chrono!!!
    Last edited by woodsoup; 03-10-2008 at 02:54 PM.

i think i would stick with the 100 gr in the 9mm

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i think i would stick with the 100 gr in the 9mm
    What 100 gr??

I loaded 180gr and 105 gr boolits. The 180 went over 13.5 gr H110 in .357 mag cases. The 105 gr went into .38 spl over 4.5 gr Bullseye and over 4 gr Bullseye in 9mm cases.

long day sorry