Thread: Old gun, new owner

Default Old gun, new owner

$110 for a modelo 1891 Argentine made in Berlin. The bore is rough but I think that I can smooth it out. The bolt handle is a bent handle with a good looking weld. Only problem it almost hits a cheap scope. It has no safety so that may be the next purchase. The trigger is crisp with almost no creep. The rear sight is missing and am thinking of doing away with the scope and using open sights. I am thinking about reducing the size of the magazine to 3 instead of 5. This is my next project. BTW only cast bullets in this one.

The barrel for the Turk is on its way. I figure that if I can get 50 more hours on this project it will be done. The action is looking better all the time.

Mike

Pam on vacation? LOL
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

Never met a Mauser I didn't like. If the original rear sight base is still there you can get a scout base an put a scope or a red dot forward like I did on the K31. Highly recommended reading is Ludwig Olsen's Mauser Bolt Rifles if you are interested in the evolution and history of them. You really can't tell a lot about the actual bore condition by its discoloration, you learn more by slugging it (an 8mm bullet cast of soft lead makes the best .30/.31cal slug). If there are corroded sections you'll find them when driving the slug. Neither discoloration nor minor pitting in the bore is likely to have a negative effect on accuracy with cast as long as they are sized correctly. It's not unusual for an old milsurp to have multiple layers of copper & powder fouling in the grooves. Some of them take a lot of patience and an electronic cleaner, alternating solutions, and a lot of scrubbing for a week or so to get it all out of there. And it's almost always worth the effort. And it can always be rebarreled easily, those are good actions.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Versifier
    I scrubbed the bore and it appears better. I tried to start a 321 slug but that was stopped quickly. I do have some lead sinkers that worked for 30 cal and will try them next. Right now I have a hacking cough and headache so am working slowly. On the Turk the barrel has been sent from Sarco in 6.5 x 55. Lapped the lugs so that 80% are touching. I don't know if I have to do any more. The barrel threads are cleaned (wished I had a thread chaser) and waiting. I have measured from the face of the bolt to the end of the receiver and there is .005 difference. I will be filing them down, hopefully next week.
    Back to the 91, the safety was taken off. I have looked high and low, at least in the places I know, with no luck for one. I can find everything else but the safety itself. I will be going to Don's tomorrow. After 50 years of gunsmithing he might have one. If not I will probably have to find a 93 bolt and work backwards, at least according to the "experts" on the internet. Mauser Central is getting more visits from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayt View Post
    Pam on vacation? LOL
    He is ignoring you pretty well.
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike in tx View Post
    $110 for a modelo 1891 argentine made in berlin. The bore is rough but i think that i can smooth it out. The bolt handle is a bent handle with a good looking weld. Only problem it almost hits a cheap scope. It has no safety so that may be the next purchase. The trigger is crisp with almost no creep. The rear sight is missing and am thinking of doing away with the scope and using open sights. I am thinking about reducing the size of the magazine to 3 instead of 5. This is my next project. Btw only cast bullets in this one.

The barrel for the turk is on its way. I figure that if i can get 50 more hours on this project it will be done. The action is looking better all the time.

Mike
    pictures !...................

303 I am an old man who has little use for computers except to solve problems or humor others. Tell me how to post pixs and I will; otherwise I am too lazy to learn on my own at this time. Thanks for being interested.
    Model 1891 I got the slug plug stuck by the wood dowel. Learned my lesson and it is out now. I had seen on Cast Boolits that Marvel Mystery oil in the bore would clean it of many sins. Soooooo Marvel Mystery oil in the bore overnite. I removed the plug 3 hours ago and started cleaning. What a mess. Some of it is so black and sticks to my skin so I need to use grit to get it off completely. Bore has been swept numerous times and finally got a cleaner patch. In my infamous actions I brushed the bore with MM oil. It must have taken 8 - 10 patches before it stopped coming out with that black pitch. The bore does look much cleaner and now I see how rough it really is. I am going to shoot it before I start lapping. Grooves are sharp but with a lot of machine marks. OH well, this and the Turk are my first mausers in 40 years and am I having fun and spending money. LOL
    Clayton Pam has not yet figured out what is going on, only that I am staying busy. I tell it is practice for the real thing in June 15

My slugging rods are made of drill rods a tad smaller than the bores I'm working on. Every inch along them I wrap with a few turns of inch wide masking tape so the steel of the rod cannot come in contact with the bore. I never use dowels for slugging or as ramrod/cleaning rods in traditional muzzleloaders with fixed breech plugs. One of each was quite enough, thank you. FWIW it's a lot easier to get one out of a centerfire barrel than it is a m/l.

To post a photo, click on the "insert image" icon in the top tool bar of the reply window.
    "Stand your ground.

Well, I now have a steel rod wrapped with electrical tape. It worked, thank God. I am installing the safety today, Don put his hand on one just like that. It is a more modern one and not military. He also quoted me $55 to alter the bolt handle. Cheaper for me have him do it than to buy the equipment from Brownell's. If I decide that I will like to do more than I will get the equipment. Having fun and the cold is getting better. Probably have to go to work tomorrow night. I am expecting the barrel for the Turk today or tomorrow.
    The rear sight on the Argentine is gone but the base is there. What do you recommend that I do, drill and tap for rail? It slopes but that can be cured. Thanks in advance for the advice.

B-Square (and others I am sure) makes a mount that attaches with a pin through the original rear sight ladder's pivot at the front of the base. I posted the link below. The special one I have for the K31 is a bit more elaborate (and heavier), but the B-Square units I have seem for Mausers and Moisins are solid, light weight, and well made. I believe (but am not 100% certain) that 91's, 93's, 95's and 98's all had the same width ladder sights. If not, a bit of shimming or filing may be needed.

I also have the X-S base (link below) on a 98 Mauser which had the original base removed and I have been very happy with it. The X-S sits a tad bit lower then the B-Square, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the scope and/or the comb height of the stock.

Most long eye relief handgun scopes work perfectly on scout mounts, as do the specific IER scout scopes. I use a Leupold 2.5X Scout on the K31 and a Leupold 2X handgun scope on my 98 Mauser. I have tried the Leupold 4X handgun scope on it too, but while fine for shooting stationary targets, it is not as quick on live targets in the field as those of lower magnification. I also like red dots on scout mounts, especially on hunting rifles. Just like peep sights, the scout mounts let you keep both eyes open so you do not lose depth perception and can track moving targets more easily.

If I had known what you were planning I would have shown you both so you could have compared them side by side. Oh well.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...-prod1771.aspx
    http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...nt-prod50.aspx
    "Stand your ground.