Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Firearm Cleaning Product!!

Default Best Firearm Cleaning Product!!

Been originally from France, I have been using a gun oil call; BALLISTOL for over 25year and after trying all the different cleaner/oil here in the US; there is nothing up to Ballistol.
    The company I work for is selling a 6 oz. spray for around $8.00 ...not much!!
    Have a look: http://www.miamigunclasses.com/Catalog.html
    If you buy some let me know what you think of it, as I’m a true believer of it to be simply the best product for firearm cleaning!!

Quote Originally Posted by dvonmatt View Post
    Been originally from France, I have been using a gun oil call; BALLISTOL for over 25year and after trying all the different cleaner/oil here in the US; there is nothing up to Ballistol.
    The company I work for is selling a 6 oz. spray for around $8.00 ...not much!!
    Have a look: http://www.miamigunclasses.com/Catalog.html
    If you buy some let me know what you think of it, as I’m a true believer of it to be simply the best product for firearm cleaning!!
    how does it work on blackpowder guns does it have any petroleum products in it

how well does it remove lead or copper

tom

GunLoad Trainee

Default Flitz

I just got turned on to a product called Flitz. I have cleaned 2 rifles and two pistols until I could white glove them, then used the cleaner and came away with rust colored cleaners. The second part is a type of carnuba wax guaranteed to protect for six months. One of the rifles was an 1873 springfield trap door that looks almost new now.

this product works perfect for Black powder guns. I use it on my Rem 44bp and it not only clean and when i shoot it the product reduced powder build ups!!
    Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dvonmatt View Post
    this product works perfect for Black powder guns. I use it on my Rem 44bp and it not only clean and when i shoot it the product reduced powder build ups!!
    Great!!!
    Also makes a great patch lube.
    Montani Semper Liberi

It would be hard to talk me out of using Ed's Red. Dale

I'm with you, Dale. As a recent convert to ED's Red, I just can't say enough about it. After mixing up my first batch of Red, I cleaned 4 of my 'already been cleaned' rifles. A LOT of gunk came out on the patches of each rifle.

Why would I want to purchase something else ? Ed's Red is effective, cheap, and doesn't smell too bad. At least my dear wife doesn't complain about it the way she did when I used #9.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I used the original formula(with turpentine) so it is a bit oderous, but a piney oder. I added some lanolin for lubrication and rust resistence. Dale

Default Ballistol

Ballistol- yep, good stuff.

For copper fouling- I use one of the med strength ammonia solvents like Shooter's Choice, Montana Extreme or Butch's along with brush and lots of patches on correct jags. For bad lead... nothing seems to work except a lot of elbow grease, lots of patches, maybe some Rem Clean or JB or for worst case... fine bronze wool tightly wrapped around a brush. Then in all my guns... swab out all chemical solvent when clean with at least two dry patches. Then swab bore and outside metal with either LPS #1 for short term or LPS #3 for long term storage.

But for general BP cleaning, good ole mixture of Ballistol and water- aka "moose milk" works great. The stuff is a water soluble oil, has an acceptable odor at least to me and has been around for a hundred years or so. When on sale it goes for about $8 for a 16 oz bottle then when mixed at 50/50 water is a very inexpensive blackpowder solvent at $8 for 32 oz. Great for in-between BP shot cleaning on the range and is chemically supposed to neutralize harmful BP residue acids.

GunLoad Trainee

Default General Gun Cleaning

Do you use the ballistol straight or diluted w/water? What about for general cleaning after a smokeless shootin match?