Thread: Paper patch?

Question Paper patch?

This is my firts post here, so let's let it roll. As if I didn't have enough to do, I've been kicking around the idea of a paper patch bullet. Might be fun to give a try, plus it might allow the use of some of my undersize slugs, Anyone got any idea how this patching works?
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Real good sight on the cast bullet site.

Have done a few you can paper patch a grease grooved bullet or a bullet cast for paper or even jacketed.
    Got to get a couple wraps of paper around the bullet to bring it up to the size you want twist the tail neatly underneath the bullet after getting it stick to the bullet.
    Load them with enough neck tension to hold them or a little bit of a crimp.

That is a basic of how it is done.

Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

Welcome aboard.

http://reloaders.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=273

Some of the links are dead, let me know if you are interested as I probably have them on CD somewhere (sorry for asking, but we've had a "few" single post members in the past).

kg
    Last edited by kg42; 10-03-2007 at 04:38 AM.

GunLoad Trainee

Default 45-70

After five years of trying I have finally found THE load for my Marlin 1895g. Does everything I want done and is still shootable. I started with new Remington brass, annealed the first ¾ inch using the melted lead method, belled with a Lee expander and primed with CCI 200. The powder charge is 52gr AA 2495. I started with 48 and worked up with no signs of pressure. This is a compressed load, even using a 16 inch drop tube. The magic bullet is cast in a Lyman 451114 mould. The alloy is 17 parts pure lead, 2 ½ parts linotype, and ½ part tin. The bullet drops from the mould .451, 430gr and is ready for patching. I make my patches from 16lb green bar computer paper, cut 2.750 long on a 60* angle 1.500 high. I dip in water and wrap twice around the bullet. They are left to dry overnight, then lubed with BAC. Then the tails are clipped and the bullet is run through a .459 Lee sizing die. I seat them to an OCL of 2.580. These shoot clover leaf groups at 25 yards and into 1.75 at 100. This is with a Lyman 66 rear sight and factory front sight. Not bad for 55 year old eyes. Bullet performance on game is all one could ask for. I’ll not quit experimenting, but how does one improve on perfection?