Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloaders Reference Software

[QUOTE=fireflyfather;4027]Who said anything about fix on demand?

You didn't I did. Just messing with wiljen.

He has been a great help. And I thank him for all the free stuff.

I just thought I would pick on him a little since most of my original problems were due to an eye dee ten tea error.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

GunLoad Trainee

Found the "problem". If you calculate a given load, and want to change the number of powder grains in the load, you have to reselect the powder again afterwards, or it won't recalculate (If you only change the powder weight field, nothing changes...if you change weight and reselect the powder type, it will display the new cost per round).

Very minor bug (feature?), and I had to do a little math myself to double check it, but it does work properly if you do this. Just a little counter-intuitive until you figure it out. Hopefully if anyone else has the same trouble they will see this.

Now I can calculate the cost of rounds by salvaged brass. I am still thinking about amortizing both the cost of virgin brass and the cost of factory ammo to salvage brass from. Or even amortizing reloading equipment. Of course, that would require a log of all ammo reloaded as well. Time to break out excel I think. Thanks to RR software I can save excel for the tricky stuff! Great.

What is a Powley Number?

I noticed a table in the program to automatically calculate this.

I have read some information that would indicate that the Powley Number would be the pressure of a load in PSI.

Is this correct?

THANKS
    Last edited by single shot; 08-28-2007 at 05:06 AM.

Castpics and RR guy

Quote Originally Posted by single shot View Post
    What is a Powley Number?
    The powley calculator is used to predict an IMR powder and charge weight that will produce a load of approximately 42,000 CUP. This is an estimation and is only valid within a defined range of powders, but it has been used for years to determine a starting point for wildcatting.

Castpics and RR guy

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyfather View Post
    Found the "problem".
    I found one too. Unfired brass was creating a divide by Zero error in the calculation. I've fixed it and will post a patched file after I add a couple other items.

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    The powley calculator is used to predict an IMR powder and charge weight that will produce a load of approximately 42,000 CUP. This is an estimation and is only valid within a defined range of powders, but it has been used for years to determine a starting point for wildcatting.
    Cool, now I can do some research because I just ordered a F1 Master Chrony from Midway. It was on sale for $79 which is cheaper than the Wally World price for the standard F1.

With all the stuff I ordered, shipping was not an issue.

abd who said there was no santa

testhop

GunLoad Trainee

Another thought: How easy or hard would it be to create an inventory for scrap lead? Maybe type, date acquired, cost, original weight, actual yield.

And add a function to track how many of a given primer, bullet (maybe powder) has been used?

This is such a great piece of software I want to quit using excel altogether now.

ETA: Wait, does this software amortize the cost of the brass over successive firings? Maybe I shouldn't have set the price of scrounged factory ammo brass at $0.01 for the whole lot.....hm.....

Castpics and RR guy

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyfather View Post
    Another thought: How easy or hard would it be to create an inventory for scrap lead? Maybe type, date acquired, cost, original weight, actual yield.

And add a function to track how many of a given primer, bullet (maybe powder) has been used?

This is such a great piece of software I want to quit using excel altogether now.

ETA: Wait, does this software amortize the cost of the brass over successive firings? Maybe I shouldn't have set the price of scrounged factory ammo brass at $0.01 for the whole lot.....hm.....
    Yes it does amortize the price of brass by # of firings.

While I finally got around to inventorying all my loaded ammo.

TOO MUCH STUFF TO ENTER INTO THE PROGRAM. easier to shoot it all off and start inventory from scratch

Went to the range today. Shot off .243 . Tomorrow is .223, 9mm day.