Thread: Woodleigh 8mm 250gr. bullets

Teabagger

Question Woodleigh 8mm 250gr. bullets

Hello Volks,

This is my first post to this site. I am having trouble locating powder charge information on a new box of bullets I bought..... heres the data....

Woodleigh bullet, 8mm (.323) 250gr. copper jacketed soft point.

In my search for starting and maximum recomended loads, I can find data as high as 220gr. bullets but no one has 250gr. bullets listed.

Has anyone workd up a load for his bullet wt. using H4895?

I am looking to use this for hunting Black bear here in Virginia..

GunLoad Trainee

Sounds like it should get the job done. I use H4895 for 150 and 170g loads but never 220g. I hope someone has some experience with this load...........I'd like to try it myself.

GunLoad Trainee

It would help if you told us the caliber you are loading. I do believe that bullet was designed for the 8mm Mag and is overly strong for lesser cartridges, unless you want to shoot a solid!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

GunLoad Trainee

Default Woodleigh 8mm 250 gr

I had the same problem about not finding info on these heavy bullets. I contacted Geoff McDonald at Woodleigh Bullets and he sent me this info: 8x57JS use 50 grains of H4350 for 2250 fps aprox. This is a moderate pressure load. For the 8MM Rem Magnum use Rem 9 1/2 primer 72-76 grains H4831 for 2670 - 2780 fps or 84 - 86 grains H870 for 2650 - 2780 fps.
    Also, I contacted John Barsness at LoadData.com and he sent me a mathematical formula that you can use to determine how much powder For instance Sierra lists a max load of 80.9 grs with a 220 gr bullet in the 8mm Magnum. Multiply max powder charge by .94 to get 76 grs as maximum with the 250 gr bullet. Then, multiply the powder charge of 76 times .92 and we get 70 grs as a starting load. This load is for Re-22 powder, but all you have to do is pick the powder you prefer and apply the formula to what is listed in the loading manual for the heaviest bullet shown and it works fine. I have used it numerous times and have had good luck with. But, you should check your chronograph and watch velocities and always look for pressure signs whenever working up loads. You can contact Woodleigh at (zedfield@iinet.net.au) and LoadData is LoadData.com. Hope this helps.