Thread: Powder comparison

GunLoad Trainee

Default Powder comparison

I have been reloading for about two years but have not done much in the way of researching new powders.I load mainly for 45/70 and British .303.
    For the British .303 I have been using IMR4895 and I've been pleased with it.Recently I read a posting where someone mentioned using Varget in .303British.
    Can someone give me the relative differences between Varget and IMR4895?
    Even tho I am satisfied with IMR4895 the possibility of finding something better is always there.
    I don't know of any definitive reference which compares different powders except the collective knowledge of reloaders.
    Thank you in advance for your comments.

Stan in SC

Stan,
    Varget is a little faster than 4895, not a big difference in burning rate between them. The thing is, every rifle is different as to what it prefers. Will you get better accuracy with Varget? Only your rifles can tell you. It never hurts to give it a try, maybe you will get a pleasant surprise, or not. Either way you will learn something, and Varget is a popular powder - if you don't like your results with it, it can easily find a home with another reloader. A favorite powder of mine in the .303Brit is IMR3031, which is also listed for the .45-70, as are RE7 and 4198.
    What are you shooting them out of, what bullets are you using, what kind of accuracy are you getting now, and what would you like to see?
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Default Powder comparisons

Right now I am loading .303 British with 40 gr. of IMR4895.The bullets are 150 Gr. SP flat base and 180 Gr. RNSP flat base.Same charge for both bullets.I have a rifle zeroed with each one of these loads.The 150 is my range shooter and the 180 is my hunting piece.I'm getting 1-1/2" groups with either on a good day.

Stan

I'd tend to lean towards the 150's for the flatter trajectory and milder recoil, but you are getting pretty good accuracy with them both. What rifle are you shooting them in? Are you neck sizing your cases?
    "Stand your ground.

I'd tend to lean towards the 150's for the flatter trajectory and milder recoil, but you are getting pretty good accuracy with them both. What rifle are you shooting them in? Are you neck sizing your cases?
    "Stand your ground.

GunLoad Trainee

I full length size every casing.I refuse to segregate brass by rifle.
    The 150 gr. load is shot in a sporterized Enfield No.1 Mk.III with scope.
    The 180 gr. is shot in a custom hunting rifle based on a no.4 action with a heavy hunting weight barrel and scoped.
    The 150's are great at the range but for hunting I prefer the 180's.Shots here in South Carolina at deer are usually less than 150 yards.If I am hunting in really thick stuff I'll use one of my iron sighted 45/70's.