Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strongest small arms action ever devised...

Default short follow up on action strength

I think that at least one other poster said that past a certain point of action strength the weakest link becomes evident and that is the cartridge case- couldn't agree more. Many of the better single shots, maybe some of the newer levers and most of the better bolt actions are probably stronger than the brass cartridge cases they house for firing. At that point it becomes a matter of gas management... which opens up another point for discussion. Again, I prefer not to find out first hand! The small ring Mauser I attempted to blow up on purpose didn't come apart like a cheap suit- just scattered a few small parts and splinters around. According to the high speed video recording, the largest piece was the extractor flying off to the right side and to the rear. But, the orange plasma ball of roughly 2-2 1/2 ft diameter that surrounded the action, at firing, would have been the greatest threat to the shooter. This was done in an open air bunker and the sound was very unique. Not a big "boom" like many would suspect but more of a muffled, high pitched "crack"- not unlike the sound made by detonation of a small charge of high velocity explosive.
    Reload with respect for the potentials and with full attention to detail.

This is subject for debate after a long day out hunting. I like the Mauser actions for their strength, the Ruger #1s are also tough. The others mentioned here I have little experience with, except the M1 Garand, I have seen the operating rod bow out to the side from people trying to get that load tuned for 600 to 1,000 meters.

Jerry

Default strengths

When the Garand was being tested.... long strings of very high pressure loads were used. Hatcher's Notebook will shed some light on the findings. My guess about the bent operating rod stories has to do with using the wrong bullet and powder combination. It's been known for a long time in the Garand that the combination of heavy bullets and slow powders is a no-no. Naturally, long range target shooters like long, heavy bullets and slow powder. The big bullet gets to the muzzle and the large charge of slow, progressive powder is still generating accelerating pressures. The gas port on the stock Garand is near the muzzle so the gas pressure excerted on the operating rod exceeds the design of the gun. Result- bent rod, etc.... Fairly common.

The repeated high pressure, destructive testing that was done on the Garand leaves no doubt of the great strength of the design. Preferred bullet weights are in 150-165 gr. range. With the preferred powder being something like 4895. Loading 180-200 grain bullets on top of powders like 4831 or slower is asking to bend a rod... even though both load combinations are loaded to the same peak pressure of say 50K psi.
    Last edited by 405; 01-08-2008 at 12:17 AM.
    "You can't have no idea how little I care"- Montelius Walsh

GunLoad Trainee

Rem or Win made 1917 Enfield ( P or M - 17 ) is about as strong as any Bolt gun. About 40 years ago I tried to blow one up and couldn't, Drove 10 bullits into the barrel behind each other from the rear then loaded a case full of powder with no bullit in it. Tied it to a truck tire and pulled the trigger with a loooooong string. Totally destroyed the case but never hurt the action or barrel at all. olddudeone

Quote Originally Posted by olddudeone View Post
    Rem or Win made 1917 Enfield ( P or M - 17 ) is about as strong as any Bolt gun. About 40 years ago I tried to blow one up and couldn't, Drove 10 bullits into the barrel behind each other from the rear then loaded a case full of powder with no bullit in it. Tied it to a truck tire and pulled the trigger with a loooooong string. Totally destroyed the case but never hurt the action or barrel at all. olddudeone
    DUDE!!!! your crazy! In my opinion, the arisaka is the strongest!
    Tony
    Last edited by Bullshop Junior; 01-26-2008 at 02:42 AM.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

GunLoad Trainee

Hey all. I saw Akleys tests mentioned,and he did say the Arisaka was strongest..with qulifications. Don,t remember the date/sn mentioned but the later efforts where investment cast. He found they would grow extra headspace with normal loads in the original chambering. There was also a piece in the article by a metalurgist who said the heat treating on the action/bolt was very elaborate for the time and was the main factor in the strength of the action.

Smile

IIRC, someone on CB did a test using the Mosin action. Ended up loading the case with Bullseye and blew the barrel off! But no damage to the receiver.

I'm not going to approach that type of insanity, but it is nice to know my reloading error may be protected by the action strength.
    Regards,

WE

I've got a Shiloh Sharps that seems quite strong but I think the strongest action I've got is a Pete Grizel small ring double square bridge Mauser action. It's built with the best improvments from the pre 64 Mod 70, the Mauser and the O3 actions. My serial number is #44. They later morphed into the Dakota rifle but this was built before Pete designed the Dakota. At the time when it was available Guns and Ammo did an article that it's the best Mauser action ever made. That was back in the 1980's and it is a Mauser type built with the best steel made at the time.