Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading 454 Casull

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    Hoo boy! I am courious about something concerning loading bullets for the .454 Casull I recently accquired a S&W .460 XVR w/an 8 3/8 inch barrel. The most popular round for this revolver seems to be (from articals I've read) a 200 gr. bullet .451 dia. Now here's the rub; this S&W revolver handles three diffrent cartridges i.e. the .45 LC, the .454 Casull and the .460. If the .460 round has reloading data for a 200 gr. bullet why can't I find loading data for a 200 gr. bullet in .454 Casull?
    W/the longer chamber length of the X-Frame I suppose one could load up some 454's w/a longer C0L. I fired 454 ammo in my 460 as well as 45 LC and maybe someone will try 45 auto rimmed someday. My experience w/other cartridges in the XVR was that it sounded puny ~ yes, on the heels of the 460 everything sounds/recoils anemic. However, thru my muffs, sounded like squib load just begging to happen.

The XVR is much different than shooting 38Spl/357Mag, 44Spl/44Mag, 45LC/454Casull. It has about 0.5" additional chamber that in rifle terms would be call freebore and the resulting pressures much lower. I know in my case some would have heavier recoil/bark and another would be quiet, like not a full burn. Anyway ~ will only shoot 460 in my X-Frame from now on. Will shoot 45LC occasionlly in my FA83 ~ maybe one can work up some load using those racy looking 200gr Barnes for the 460 rnd in 45LC case and still function in the standard 454 chamber?

I am reloading 200 gr lead bullets in .454 Casull brass with 10 grains of Unique for a medium load. Nice shooter in my Ruger Super Redhawk.
    Kurt Hargarten
    Trenton, FL.
    I'm out of my mind, be back in a minute...