Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #4 Mke 1 Longbranch 1950

Well I had my little lady out today. It was snowing with the temp just below freezing. Due to a number of reasons tests were shot at 50 yards rather than 100 yards. Using IVI 174 gr FMJ Ball managed a group of four @1.26". Using 180 gr IVI Soft Point managed a group of four @ .969". All groups were 2" low using the sight set at the bottom of the stack. This gun has the "S" rear stock which will be replaced with a "L" next week. I have long arms.

As to the cases measuring first approx 3/8" in from the rim, then the shoulder then the neck at the center here are the measurements.

New: .446 .398 .336
    Fired: ..454 .406 .344

Exp .008 .008 .008

I am in new in new territory here so what all this means in terms of relative chamber size etc is an area I look to those on the board with far more knowledge then I for comments.

I will changing out the front sight to get my gun shooting closer to POA at 100 yards when the sight is set at the bottom. For ranges closer than that I can use the battle sight.

I look forward in developing CB for the gun using my Lee produced boolits and hopefully a Lyman 314299 boolit.

Dave as soon as my dies arrive I will try your load for the Lee boolit.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by Canuck44; 01-22-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Just a quick up date I replaced the front sight with one 60/1000 shorter. You sight the #4 rifle in at 25 yards with a six o'clock hold. Aiming point is a 1" x 1 1/2" Black rectangle. Gun was shooting 2" low. Each 15/1000 of less front site reduces aim point at 25 yards 1/2".

Weather turned cold again so I am going to have to wait a week before giving it another test. May have some horizontal changes to make. Still waiting for the longer stock. More next week. Still waiting for my order from Graf & Sons. A couple of things I ordered are on BO. Hopefully I will hear they are shipped next week.

Take Care

Bob

Smile

THAT is pretty neat!! Having a brand new, 54 year old rifle to work with! Hope you get it shooting really sweet!
    Regards,

WE

Quick update, I reported I replaced the front sight with a shorter one. Gun placed three shots center right on the 25 yrd 1"x11/2" black zone. To wet and slushy to walkout a 100 yd target. Which is on the money. May have to drift the front sight a bit but to early to tell.
    If rain holds on snow should be gone by Tuesday and I'll test it out at 100 yds.

Graff have shipped my order so I am a little like a kid on the 24th of Dec. I want to get some 314299 boolits cast and loaded up. Local store is out of 2400 but has some 4227 so I am going with it at 16 gr under those 200 gr boolits. Should work OK.

Re-installed the S buttstock until I can get a L. The one I was going to swap with was the in between length. Better than I have but still a tad shorter than I want.

Take Care

Bob

Sounds like Mother nature is working against you Bob. I have faith in you that you will get it running right along. You just need a little help with the weather. Good luck and good shooting.
    " Free Men" do not ask permission to bear arms.