Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #4 Mke 1 Longbranch 1950

Default #4 Mke 1 Longbranch 1950

Well I just scored on a Longbranch with about 150 rds through it. I have been on the look out for one for over a year. Trading a .38S&W Webley and a Webley MKe VI .455 Colt for it. Will have to pick up dies, shellplate and look for a mold for it. Any thoughts on a boolit for this old seamstress. Loads to would help using lead or J Bullets. Will post pictures later

Bob

Bob,
    I would start with some Sierra 150's and a can of 3031, and look at loads in the 2500fps range. 4064 and RE7 are also great with this case, and it may prefer even heavier 180gr bullets. With the incredible variations in chamber dimensions that exist in Brit mil rifles, starting with someone else's pet load probably isn't going to help you much. Just get yourself a set of Lee deluxe collet dies (includes a regular fl sizer) and a Factory Crimp for it and treat it as if it were a wildcat with fireformed cases. This is one chambering that can take a lot of patience sometimes, but usually is well worth the effort.

It sounds like your new toy has a pretty much virgin chamber, so I'm thinking positive and keeping fingers crossed that it won't require the careful care and feeding so often necessary with .303's. If you want to go cast, slugging the bore is even more important than with any other milsurp as there is quite a wide variation in bore diameters, too. I have loaded for dozens of these old girls over the years, and I have written quite a lot recently on our three fora about their care and feeding, so I won't go into a lot of detail. You can search for it easily enough if you haven't followed it. About the only one I have not been able to get a decent working load for, you could drop a jacketed bullet through the barrel without it hanging up. And if I had known then what I know now about cast boolits, it might not have defeated me.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Friend who had it has shot 2" groups with it so it should be a shooter with cast boolits. I will take your advice and see how the old girl does. The Canadian Gals that put her together did it with a lot of love so I suspect the chamber should be tight enough (I Hope). From what I have read the Longbranch rifles were as good as the Mke 4's got so she should be a shooter.

Everything is matching and original and not a factory refurbish so we shall see. I will post how she shoots.

Take Care

Bob

With any milsurp, I like to use decent mil ammo as a baseline to compare results against before I start loading. Aside from filing the preliminary targets, pay attention to the diameters at different points of the case unfired vs. fired. Measure neck, shoulder, and web (up1/4" from head). That will tell you what you need to know without the hassle of a chamber cast. Remember that a fat neck isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means you'll be better with cast of larger diameter. If there is a good shot at a pristine one with decent tolerances, you have it. IME, the worst ones came out of India. Let us know what happens along the way to MOA.
    "Stand your ground.

Due to Jealousy I refuse to make any coment !!!!!!!!!!

Oh bugger it ! Now I've started I might as well finnish !

Their a great rifle & having matching Numbers is a big Plus ! The 150 gn Sierra is a great projectile ! I also use a Lee C312 -185

so far as loads go try 44.0gns of H414 for the 150 gn And a starting Load of H4895) with the 185 cast of 24.gns

Remember a well if using milsurp ammo in the .303 wash the bore out with Boiling water as soon as possible after shooting to remove the residure of the corrosive primers & then clean normally

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Default Pictures

Here are the pictures. Must say I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Will do some casting today and tomorrow armed with some new IVI .303 British from my Ranger friends I'll do some testing and measuring. I have to order a shell plate from Dillon. The minor dings in the stock are from storage, other than that she appears pretty much mint.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by Canuck44; 01-06-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Here is where the rifle was made and by whom. With a population of 10 million at the time and a million men in arms the ladies had to step up to the plate.

Take Care

Bob

Great pictures there Bob. Good luck with your new rifle. Versifier and Dave will have cooking on a high burner in no time.
    " Free Men" do not ask permission to bear arms.

It's a good thing you're on the other side of the continent Bob. I can't get any drool on her from here. Have you had a chance to shoot her yet?
    "Stand your ground.

I am off to the range today if the rain holds off. I have some FMJ and soft points to run through her. I plan on using the targets as a bench mark to compare results with my cast Lee boolits. Just waiting for a conversion kit from Dillon for my 550. I'll post pics of targets.

I also will be doing some measuring of cases to determine chamber size. Will cast chamber later with cerra safe. I have ordered some from Brownells.

Take Care

Bob