Thread: wear to start want to load 40 S&W and 7 rem mag

GunLoad Trainee

Default wear to start want to load 40 S&W and 7 rem mag

ok wanting to start reloading the two main cal would be pistol 40 S&W and in rifle caliber would be 7 rem mag . any suggestions don't have allot of money so was told to try to find used equipment or kits.

I found that used stuff is highly priced those days, and you don't have the experience to sort it out.
    For the press I would invest in LEE's classic cast as you start right away with rifle; they are regularly on sale ( Midway, Grafs, etc); about the price for used RCBS and Hdy equivalents, and it has the smart priming arm at the bottom.

LEE dies come with dippers so you could skip powder measure and scale for the start.

I would still have theses dippers checked by the store or a buddy with a scale; and it might take the magnum and accuracy out of your 7mm due to a conservative load.
    Also you might have to use a medium slow powder in the 40, which will cost you as much as scale and measure in the long run.

I like the LEE auto disk measure for pistols, cheap looking and a bit expensive for plastic but I couldn't live without.
    For rifle, I like the hornady measure as it is graduated, a used one should still be as good.

www.leeprecision.com
    www.grafs.com

kg

Ooops, and don't forget LEE's unexpensive case trimmer for the 7mm, and case lube.
    LEE dies come with how-to instructions as well.
    You will still probably want to roll the first (few)pieces with some tutoring; I suggest you start with the 40.

There is a reloading tutorial somewhere on the main site here that you can read.
    Last edited by kg42; 12-30-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Definitely start with the .40 (unless you shoot an older Glock!). You want a little bit of practice before you try working with belted magnum cases. Before you buy any tools, the most important first purchases are loading manuals, at least two, more if you can afford them. I would start with Lee and Sierra, Lyman is pretty good, so are Speer, Nosler, Hornady. Powder companies will generally provide data by mail or downloadable for free, but it is often rather limited in scope.

To the previous excellent post I would add only that you can get the entire set of Lee dippers for very little cash ($11), and by using the tables in the Lee Handbook (which is the only manual that lists charges by weight and volume) you can come up with any charge volumetrically by using combinations of different size scoops. You also will need a powder funnel to charge your cases if you go with scoops and forego a mechanical powder measure, but they cost a mere pittance ($3). Lee scales are adequate and inexpensive, but you should get a set of check weights for any scale that you buy in case it gets bounced around or knocked out of adjustment.

A vernier or dial caliper, even a plastic one will do the job well, really helps when you need to determine OAL or when your rifle cases need trimming.

I add this for you to think about:
    While the Anniversary Reloading Kit ($120) doesn't come with the Classic Cast Press (but it does have the Challenger, not a bad press) it is a good value that will provide most of the basic tools in one package at a discounted price compared to buying them all separately. It is also available with the Lee manual for an extra $12, and includes powder measure, scale, funnel, AutoPrime, cutter & lock stud for trimmer, chamfer/deburr tool, and sizing lube. All you need to go with it is a die set (which includes the shell holder if you buy Lee), case length guage & shell holder for the trimmer, and a lube pad for rifle cases.
    The regular Challenger Kit is more no-frills and is a great deal further discounted if bought with a die set ($53). No scale, measure, or trimmer, and it has the Ram Prime instead of the AutoPrime, but it will get the job done for you. You can always upgrade later one tool at a time as you learn more and can make a more informed assessment of your specific needs.
    You can get a catalog by going to www.leeprecision.com They also have closeouts and factory seconds that can save you even more.

All of the major loading tool manufacturers have similar kits to start you off, with their tools discounted , but all the others are significantly more expensive than are Lee's offerings. Check them out at Graf's or Midway and compare what they offer. They also feature more rugged presses and better quality tools, and like with most things in life, you get what you pay for.
    FWIW, The Classic Cast Press is the most rugged and best press that Lee makes, in fact, has ever made, and it has been years since I bought any other die sets than Lee. Their Collet neck sizer rifle dies and Factory Crimp dies have no equals.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775