Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what bullet for hunting?

GunLoad Trainee

Default 303 enfield headspace

HI...I believe the 303 enfields have an adjustable head on the bolt...just revolve in or out till you get proper headspace

Right you are, but that doesn't necessarily help when you have a really oversized chamber. The .303 headspaces on the rim, not on the case shoulder like a rimless round does. (And there was a good amount of variation in rim thickness in wartime ammo.) That's why the round can give you three fits trying to work up a good load in an old milsurp if you don't know what to watch for.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I've been loading the 150 and the 180 gr sierra for a buddy and he prefers the 180. I've been using the 4064 but as a hunting load sierra recommends a different powder which I picked up to try out. Not sure how he'll like it. I do know that every now and then he gets a wild one and I keep everything the same. Weigh each powder throw, etc.

Sierra preferred a different powder because their test rifle preferred it. That doesn't mean your will like it best. Every rifle is different. What matters is what the rifle you have prefers, and many of them do just fine with 4064 (and with 3031 or 4895 or any other listed powder - they are all listed because they all work best in one rifle or another). If you are getting acceptable accuracy with it then use it and don't worry about what someone else's rifle prefers. No dead deer has ever been known to complain about a few hundered FPS of velocity either way. Proper bullet placement is what makes meat, so have him sight the rifle in for the load you find it likes and make some room in your freezer for a package of thankyou this fall.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Yep only way to really know is to experiment. For me IMR has been good for me but I've never tried anything else. My next never tried is to reload for the 44-40 pistol/ lever action rifle combo my other half's grandfather used to do the custer reinactments with this combo.

the other powder is H414 36 grains for the 180 grain

Agree with D O K on neck sizing 303. Saves a lot of grief!
    1Shirt!