Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single stage ,Semi progressive , Full progresive

Been using a Bonanza Co-Ax press continually for the past 40+ years. A very fast and easy to use single stage. Quick die change too. Now marketed by Forster Products. Automatic shell holder is a real *Jewel* to use.

GunLoad Trainee

For volume, the Lee Pro 1000 - mostly 38 special and 32 auto. I've been using a new Lee Classic cast turret for 40 S&W and I like it enuff to stop using the old Rockchucker for anything but BP cartridge. Just bought 4 more 4-hole turrets, so I should be good to go for rifle calibers soon. I haven't loaded shotgun shells for years, but I got an old Pacific 155 dirt cheap, so I'm going to start again. Need to stock up on lead shot - it may be illegal one of these days. Trouble is - I'm spending way too much time reloading and not enuff time shootin'.

GunLoad Trainee

RBCS AmmoMaster (3 Calibers), 550 Dillon (17 Calibers) , Dillon Sq Deal (3 Calibers) , Dillon 650 (8 Calibers) , Dillon 1050 (1 Caliber) Retired love to reload. Reload for around 25 calibers. Need to shoot more to get empty cases. Tend to go on one caliber for about a week then go on to another caliber. Would undoubtly shoot better if I did not jump around so much. Use single stage for load development then go on to progressive. Like 650 because of powder check station. If I was starting over would cut down to AmmoMaster and 650 Dillon.

river-rider I have to agree with you, now that I have stuck a few thousand through mine. Them 650's are nice never tried any other Dillon or Anyone elses progressive but man they are nice.
    Still like the ols single stage though for my rifles.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

GunLoad Trainee

I use a RCBS Rock Chucker for Rifle and a CH H press with 4 stations for pistol. Easy to change dies and it will turn out more ammo than I have time to shoot.

GunLoad Trainee

Still using a Herters for rifles. Dillon 550 for most pistols and 30 carbine. once in a while a lyman 4 stage turret but its getting tired. BWB

I'm still new to reloading but decided to go with a Lee Pro 1000 for my first press just in case I decided my time was worth more than the money I spend on ammo. I've slammed about 1,000 rounds together in a couple of weeks and am happy with it.

Only a three station press but it's not too hard to be sure that everything that's supposed to be happening is actually happening...wish it had a forth station so I could use the Factory Crimp Die without having to cycle all of my cartridges again.

I really like the ease of changing calibers...set the lock nuts and fuggedaboudit...die set + shellholder costs less than 40USD.

BTW - after reading the bad reviews of the Lee autoprimer I deprime on the press before cleaning (love carbide dies huh???), tumble/polish for a few hours, and hand prime while watching TV. Takes a little extra time but I'm not loading over 1000 rounds a week.

Blaster,

Resize and deprime on a separate single stage.

My Pro1000 is packed right now so I can't be sure, but it seems that as you don't use the priming feature, you could set the powder measure on the first station, seating on the second and crimp on the third.
    You'll have to attach the measure's link somewhere else and probably forget about the case feeding tubes, unless your measure is spring actuated (watch for interference with other dies).

Also, in case you need to change shell plates to a different size, I found it easier to do without removing the carrier (turn the hex rod with a small hex wrench, being carefull not to mark it).

kg
    Last edited by kg42; 06-13-2007 at 11:22 PM.

That thought never crossed my mind...still to new to this stuff to try to innovate too much...unfortunately I have the link chain for the powder measure...

I guess it's just time to figure out what takes more time, placing the empty shells or running back through the FCD...wonder if I'd still have room for a bullet feeder??? You gave me some good points to consider.