Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single stage ,Semi progressive , Full progresive

Default Single stage ,Semi progressive , Full progresive

Ok things have got quiet round here long enough ! What's your faverite style of Press ? O type ? who remembers or still uses the C type ? Turrets are in vouge at this time ! What about the fully progresive offerings ?

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

I load rifle and pistol on a Hornaday 'Lock and Load" progressive with great results. Most of my rifles have never seen a factory cartridge.
    Also have loaded thousands of .40 sw over the years. Not much anymore though.

Well I have a SDB Dillon Progressive. My rifle and shot gun days are over, and all I load is .45acp, .44spl, and .38/.357. If I was doing rifles I would get me a good single stage press too.
    " Free Men" do not ask permission to bear arms.

I use a Lee turret for pistol & .223 ,but for any thing else I still use a single stage !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

My 550 Dillon does it for me. I load all my pistol on it and use the press essentially as a single press with a twist for my 30-30 and 30-06 rds. I like to weigh each of my rifle loadings therefore I set the powder measure so it throws just a hair lighter and trickle to exact loading. Re-insert the case and finish the round like normal. A bit faster than reloading with a single stage and finished product is the same.

Because I shoot a lot of 9MM/.45acp I wouldn't mind picking up a used Dillon Square Deal press and just dedicate it to the one cartridge and one loading. Maybe next Christmas, although I do like that case feeder for the 550. Have to start on Santa about July! Decisions, decisions.

Take Care

Bob

For Rifles I use the old Single Stage. For the Pistols it is a 650 Dillon, Man does that SOB ever eat up a pile of brass and Lead in short order.
    You have to watch what you are doing like a hawk or before you knbow it you have 20 rounds that are not primed, have old primers in them yet, stuff like that .
    17 unprimed loaded cases is the worst I have done with it so far but hey I was new to it and it to me.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

I use a little Lee Reloader for priming with an AutoPrime2 and also push-through boolit sizing. I have been using a Rock Chucker single stage for almost 35 years, and still use it for FL sizing rifle cases. A little over a month ago, I bought a new RCBS Turret press which I like a lot, but I don't use it for priming, never even unpacked the primer tooling. It sure saves a lot of time screwing dies in and out and handling cases for each step. I have it mounted on a Midway portable reloading stand, which is not rugged enough for FL sizing, though the press would be if I mounted it on my regular bench. (But there's no heat in the garage and I would like to do some loading this winter when there's a few feet of snow on the ground and the garage is at deep freeze tempertures.) I'm up over 1000 rounds per month now, so I figured I could finally justify buying it for the time it saves, leaving me more time for casting.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

For rifle rounds I prefer my Hornady L-N-L single stage and for pistol rounds I like the Hornady L-N-L progressive. I just upgraded in October from a Hornady Pro 7 from about 1977 that still works well but the L-N-L is smoother. For me there is not other press than Hornady.
    From my cold dead hands.
    If it ain't a Colt it is a copy.

LeadBulletCaster

For volume production, I love my Hornady LnL.

For low volume production and economical caliber changeover of lower volume rounds, I've just purchased one of the new Lee Classic Cast Turret presses and am waiting for it to come in.

For long distance rifle rounds, I plan on buying a Lee Classic Cast Single stage in the near future to replace presses I've sold or lost in the past.

I use my Lee classic cast turret almost exclusively since buying it over a year ago. I also use the safety prime unit with it and rarely use the auto prime hand tools anymore. For volume production for 45acp I use Lee Load master progressive. Dave, try the turret press in the single mode, you may decide to save the price of the classic cast single stage. I haven't used my rock chucker in a year, except to form some cases from other brass. Dale