Thread: Unique vs 800-X?

GunLoad Trainee

Default Unique vs 800-X?

They seem to be the same thing. :)

Pouring over all the load-data have on hand here that's the conclusion I came to. What do you think?

Same loads by weight and... the volume to weight ratio seems to be the same too.

So then along comes the many "powder speed" lists and 800-X is way down there below Blue-Dot540/HS-6 etc. :/

Alvin in AZ

Maybe you need more data .

Have you checked www.alliantpowder.com and www.imrpowder.com ?

Sometimes two powders will look very close if tested with different guns and components.

kg

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by kg42 View Post
    Maybe you need more data ;).
    Yeah I sure enough do. :) But I'm looking for the kind of information the corporation's sales teams and lawyers hasn't pre-approved. :)

Have you checked www.alliantpowder.com and www.imrpowder.com?
    Sometimes two powders will look very close if tested with different guns and components.
    kg
    When looking at the burn rate lists they put 800-X up there with Herco (not Blue dot I messed that up in my post) and 540/HS-6.

When looking through the shotgun and pistol data 800-X ain't
    used for 3+3/4DE- 1+1/4oz loads like Herco and 540/HS-6 is, instead 800-X is right in there with Unique. Same with pistol data.

Same weights, same velocities, same pressures, and turns out the same volume too.

Ok, that's one observation and looking for an explaination why it's listed in the burn rate chart so slow?

Is this the answer... ?

Another one that's been bothering me is all the burn rate lists show IMR4064 being slower than IMR4895. I'm getting the feeling that the first one to make that burn rate list wasn't all that carefull and others just copied the mistakes over and over. :/ Even Hodgden's website has IMR4064 slower than IMR4895.

Alvin in AZ

funny that your smilies don't work... are you writing from some parallel universe ?

I don't know about shotguns but in pistols and rifles the relative burn rates can flex a lot depending on the applications (see Steve's pages who wrote it colorfully http://www.stevespages.com/powderrates.html ).
    My best guess is that measuring tools vary too and just give a general idea...

Bottom line is to use starting loads given for your application and see what happens. If you don't find data stay on the safe side.
    For example I've been using some "Herco like" surplus powder with Unique data as a basis without problem in handguns; I wouldn't recommend the opposite way.

What caliber(s) are you going to shoot?

kg

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by kg42 View Post
    funny that your smilies don't work... are you writing from some parallel universe :mrgreen: ?
    I turn them off, there's a switch just below the submit button. :)

Hey why am I explain this to you? I've only been messing with website forums for a few months. :) (newsgroup junky... unix, tin&pico)

What caliber(s) are you going to shoot?
    kg
    Prob'ly only 45LC but could use it in 12 and 16 gauge but I also have plenty of Unique too. When I bought the 800-X I was thinking it was slower than Unique like Herco or 540. :/ Oughta trade it for some Herco huh? :/ (I got like 5 or 6 pounds)

3+1/2de -1+1/8oz -#4 shot in an improved-modified choke will make a jackrabbit slide when it hits the ground. ;) And anchor a quail too.

3+1/4de - 1+1/8oz - #6 shot in an improved-modified choke and the dove bounce when they hit the ground.

No neckid birds flyin off somewhere to die with those loads. ;)

"big-shot shooter" Am I the only one here? ;)

Alvin in AZ

I've got some pistol data from Matunas and Waters for the 800X and it looks definitely slower than Unique there, even a little more than Herco; nothing for the 45LColt though.

Be sure to pick loads adapted to the strength of your gun.