Thread: .32 S&W Long 115gr. cast bullets

GunLoad Trainee

Default .32 S&W Long 115gr. cast bullets

Hi, Folks,
    I'm looking for loading data for the 115gr. FP bullet in the .32 S&W Long case. I'm looking in particular for loads using other than Bullseye powder. If anyone has experience in loading this caliber with the heavier bullets, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
    Thanks,
    Jobo12

Jobo12- I don't shoot them in S&W Long, but in .32 H&R, (Long's big brother). I have an old Ideal 3118, (now the 311008 ) and have gone as high as 4.5 gr of Unique, with no pressure signs. My best accuracy was with 3.5 grains. I would have to look a little more but I would assume if you started out with say 2 grains of Unique and worked up, you should be fine. The problem you will almost certainly have is getting your front sight tall enough to have those heavy pills print somewhere near point of aim. Hope this helps.

-Klaus

GunLoad Trainee

Many thanks, KlausG,
    This is the kind of info I'm looking for. My wife shoots Cowboy Action with .32 Mag Ruger Vaqueros, but likes the milder recoil of the .32 longs. I'm sure the Rugers will withstand even the hottest of these loads, but I also have a nice little Smith & Wesson I-frame (pre- Model 30) that I like to shoot occaisionally, and I wouldn't want to stress it out. So starting with the lighter Unique loads makes a lot of sense, to me.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Joe

Joe- The Ruger's are exactly what I'm shooting in; I have a mini-Vaquero w/a 4 5/8" and a regular Single-Six w/ a 6 1/2" adjustable sights. For most of my plinking I use Meister's RNFP (90-something grains) with 2.3 grains of Red Dot. As I just started casting, I still have around 1000 of those to shoot up before I start using a 311252 (77 grain RN). The heavy 3118's are what I use when I'm hunting, I carry that little Vaquero when I'm out moose/bear hunting for the occasional furbearer/grouse/ptarmigan that wanders within range, (a .375 H&H will pretty well ruin a fox pelt). Take care & have fun, just take 'er easy on that Smith.

-Klaus

Hi there

Speer has some cast data here for general info (90-98gr):
    http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=5&s2=15

Ken Waters wrote a Pet Loads article with these data (not for Top Break or doubtful guns):

112gr Ly 3118, ctge oal: 1.274
    6" New Police Colt

2.2 Red Dot= 734fps
    2.4 Green Dot= 773fps
    3.0/3.5 Unique= 837/960fps (3.0 is a good load)
    3.0 Herco= 781fps (fair load)
    2.7/3.0 7625= 807/912fps (best accuracy/good load)
    3.5/3.8 4756= 833/929fps (good/fine load)

Generally speaking, the caliber is sensitive to case lenght in relation to a regular crimp.

kg

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks, KG,
    This is good data, and I'm 'specially glad to see SR 7625 included as a powder, since I use it now for .38 special cast bullet loads, and it meters solidly from my RCBS rotary powder measure, even into the small charge weights. The warning about unsafe or weak guns is a good one, I think that a lot of bias against the .32 S&W long is from folks shooting factory loads designed not to blow up a top-break "owlshead".
    I load the 32-20 for both pistols and rifles, so I have a good quantity of the 115 gr. RNFP cast bullets on hand and wanted to use them in the smaller .32's as well. Also, the 95 gr. .32 bullets seem a little marginal for some of the knock-down steel targets at local SASS matches, so I hope the heavier bullets in the .32 long cases will be a good compromise between recoil and power.
    Do you think that the longer (.32 mag) case is potentially more accurate with the longer crimp depth of this bullet?
    I appreciat the reply, KG,
    Thanks again.
    Joe

You're welcome Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobo12
    Do you think that the longer (.32 mag) case is potentially more accurate with the longer crimp depth of this bullet?
    Joe
    Short, "Special" cases usually give better accuracy by a sometimes small margin due to a smaller combustion space, but practical shooting is a different matter ... I prefer shooting 38 cases with +P+ loads in 357 guns, 44 Mag cases with cowboy loads in 44 guns, and your wife is more comfortable with the 32lg.
    I think it depends on what you want to do. For example I would go for slower powders and the Mag case for 100 yards shooting.... but then I have little experience with the 32, maybe a 32lg case full of Lil'Gun would make my day.

Waters also tested the 91gr Lyman 313249 and it gave the 2nd ( 3.0gr 7625) and 3rd (3.3gr Unique) best loads. The heavy bullet is still the winner in the Lg case with the 7625. He just got flyers when the cases weren't perfectly trimmed to the same length.

He reported that the 32 wasn't more popular versus the 38Sp because it was a bit more wind sensitive and because the smaller holes would cost points.

Here are the loads for the 91gr (oal=1.24); again, not for weak guns.
    2.4/2.6 Red Dot= 830/927fps
    2.7/2.9 Green Dot= 884/934fps (2.7gr better)
    3.3/3.5 Unique= 914/979fps (3.3gr 3rd most accurate of all testing, 3.5 good too)
    3.4 Herco= 915fps
    3.0/3.2 7625= 865/977fps (3.0gr 2nd most accurate)

kg
    Last edited by kg42; 08-03-2006 at 09:24 PM.