Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cast Boolits for any 45 ACP

Smile Cast Boolits for any 45 ACP

I've been playing around with a cast boolit for this forever favorite round and find the 45-230CM mould from RCBS works pretty good. I realize, of course, this is the cowboy action bullet for the 45 Colt, but wonder if any of you have tried this one. I cast mine of w/w alloy and size it to .452 along with seating it to just below the crimp groove. I use a Paul Mathews formula for lube. I've shot this combo in a Ruger KP-90 and a Kimber match 45 as well as a Springfield XD, and it seems to do well in both the Ruger and the XD. The magazine seems to limit feeding reliably from the Kimber with the OAL length I've been using(1.230). I feel by seating the bullet a bit above the crimp groove and backing off on the powder charge(I was using a fair load of 6.8 grs of Unique) to 5.5-5.8 grs of Unique, this bullet will pass muster in this old war horse. What say you fellow shooters/casters.....anyone use this bullet in their 45's?
    Bob...
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    Life Member NRA
    VHA #26779
    NRA Certified Metallic and shotshell Reloading Instr.
    NRA and 4-H Beginning Shotgun Instr.

I say if it works for you & you can work out any feeding problems go for it ! 45's in my experiance have always worked well with hardball type designed bullets !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

I for one can not use a .452 bullet in my 1911/45. I tried and they would not feed. I use a .450 and they go through her like a hot knife through butter. I run every reload through a gauge and if they drop in free and don't stick out the other end it is a shooter. Gauge cost about $10.00. You can use your barrel if you chose. All my rounds are set at OAL 1.223.5". I have no FTF, or FTE. Work's for me.
    Last edited by Baldy; 12-08-2006 at 06:49 AM.
    " Free Men" do not ask permission to bear arms.

Smile

Upon reading other articles for the 45 ACP, I find that .452 dia bullets will not work in a number of chambers/guns as you have already found out. It is certainly something to be aware of when loading this favorite of calibers....
    Bob...
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    Life Member NRA
    VHA #26779
    NRA Certified Metallic and shotshell Reloading Instr.
    NRA and 4-H Beginning Shotgun Instr.

Cool

My old Lightweight Commander likes the 452460 Lyman SWC. And at 200 grains, it suits my CHEAP personality to get a few more boolits out of a pound of lead.

My accurized GI (my source shot it, bought it, and brought it home from Camp Perry in 1958 ) came with a recommendation to use 185 grain SWC which it REALLY likes! I have the #130 H&G in a 4 Cavity to feed that one. Feeds like a charm, and the even lighter weight suits my personality even better!

The newer Para P-14 hasn't given me a final opinion yet, but I'm usually loading that one a bit hotter than the others. I'm hoping it'll like the 452423 SWC, but I don't know right now.
    Regards,

WE

The bullets I buy from Space Coast Bullets say LSWC .451" on the box but they measure .450". I am fairly new at this reloading business, but something just don't add up. Go figure.. All I know for sure is I got one fine shooting pistol and one very accurate load.
    " Free Men" do not ask permission to bear arms.

200Gr LSWC over 5.3 gr win 231 works great in all my 1911's sized to .452. Great target load and even better self defense load. Those sharp shoulders cut blood vessels very cleanly. I think a much better bullet than 230 gr ball.

Like DOK said if what you are using works for you than go for it.

Take Care

Bob

My Colts seem to favor 452630 a 200gr bb LSWC and Unique powder. They feed excellent and accuracy is surprising, better than store bought LSWC.
    From my cold dead hands.
    If it ain't a Colt it is a copy.

I shoot Lee 220 RNHP's of ACWW @.452 with LA in both my Kimber and Colt Officer's models over 6.2gr of Unique. Feeds well through both and is more accurate than I am at reasonable ranges. It causes no leading in either pistol, so I don't have to bother with water dropping or adding any lino to the mix. I figure this load will stop anything up to and including a small foreign car with no problem at all. I also like this boolit of pure lead @452 unlubed in a sabot in my .54 M/L.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Default Baldy

Do you expereience any leading with those .450 bullets. They must be very soft to be able to bump up enough to seal the barrel. When I ran .355 bullets in my 9MM I got tumbling, mind I was casting them from WW and water quenching them. Now I size to .357 and have no leading or tumbling. .45acp LSWC are all sized to .452.

Take Care

Bob