Thread: Shooting Again!

Default Shooting Again!

It's going to be a while before I can shoot a centerfire rifle (or any rifle), but I got some time with my shooting buddy's Ruger 22/45Light with a brand new can on it today.

I had no problems hitting the gong at 50yds. The gong seems loud when you don't need ear protection. Pop....BONG!

I'm not quite up to my .45 yet, but I'm not going to have to learn to do it all over again like last time they rebuilt my back. After a few weeks of PT I ought to be able to move my neck so I can sight a rifle again and at least shoot a .22. I'm quite happy with what I was able to do today though, one month after neck surgery.

As to the can, it was interesting but it sure gets dirty quickly and needs to be cleaned after every time it gets shot and at most after 500 shots through it. The gun gets wicked dirty really fast too. I wonder if the larger caliber cans are the same way? I know at least one of us shoots a suppressed .300Whisper/Blackout. Anybody shoot 9mm or .45 handguns with cans? What is your experience? Does the powder you use make a big difference?
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Shoot it dirty until you have a "chimney fire", then post the video on u-dub!
    Glad to hear you're on the mend!
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

V it is good to hear that you are up and around again. Take it slow and easy but steady.

I can shoot a rifle again. Whew!

My neck has regained the range of motion to get down low enough to use peep sights comfortably and I will not have to learn it all over again like the last time they worked on my spine. I was shooting my 10/22 at 50, 75, and 100yds offhand and hitting what I aimed at. Major relief!

I start PT today and I figure I'll be able for light recoil like the .223 in another week. At this rate I'll be able to shoot my .308 with light cast loads right around when the blackflies come out. Oh well. No reason I can't shoot the big handguns though, guess that's what I'll bring to the range next time.
    "Stand your ground.

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

V, great to hear!!

Vers, I shoot cans on 9 and 45 both. Point of impact is always changed when switching between can and no can. I use an Advanced Armament can on 22's and it does not seem to make much difference. The Magnum can by Lane changes things a lot when shot on the 300 UM but not so much with the Black Out.

My cans I just throw in the Ultrasonic to clean. Seems to work pretty easy that way. Dirty? Well that depends. The 9 and 45 I can shoot all day without cleaning problems. The can probably is good for 500 rounds before I have to clean it. The Gun does not appear to get any dirtier with or without the can. The 22 cans are a real dirt maker tho. That can gets cleaned every 200 to 300 rounds or so and the gun is just a mess, especially on a Ruger. Any 10/22 shot with my cans need cleaned constantly as do the 22/45 and the Mark II and Mark III. When I put the can on the Walther or the Smith it is not so much a problem, dirty but not to the excess of the Rugers. The Magnum can I only use on Bolt guns and have no cleaning issue at all with that. The Lane takes apart very easily anyway so it is never a problem.

Thanks, I shall pass along the tip about the ultrasonic cleaner. All he has threaded are Rugers, life is what it is. Like you, we're seeing no POI shift on any of his .22's. I can't see him shelling out the cash for larger caliber cans, but it's nice to know they aren't as dirty. He has an old bolt action .22 but I'd have to make an adapter if I threaded it as the barrel is too skinny as is.
    "Stand your ground.

V it is really nice to hear that you are mending. Don't rush anything. Take your dandy old time. It is only spring. You have lots of time.
    Last edited by j1; 07-12-2014 at 12:01 PM.