Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary story, or whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by kg42 View Post
    So, a few months ago, I was coming home through a neighbourhood I didn't know when I saw that little mechanic shoppe and decided to try my chance at what-you-know.
    I asked the owner if he repaired tires ("yes Sir, I do!") and then what he did with the used wheelweights....
    "the what?" he said...
    "The wheelwheights, you know, the little tire equilibration weights...!"

Well I just couldn't explain to him what it was so, gallantly, the man showed me a few cars in his yard and offered me to point the "part"...
    I couldn't find a single one on the first two cars and didn't bother with the last one... The man then said that he would call his daughter who, with her better command of English, would certainly clarify the matter...

After a short explanation, all I got from the 13 years old girl was a definite "I don't see what it is and actually I never ever heard about it and I don't think that exists!".

At least it was better than the short and rude welcome I got in some other places...

On my way home, I had that weird feeling and kept thinking about that David Vincent guy: "But I know they exist, I saw THEM!".

kg

Maybe the roads are all muddy and the caked on mud negates any good the phantom w/w will do?
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

This stuff of paying for wheel weights scares me. I've been getting them free here, but I'm moving back to South Missouri after 20 years away and most of my contacts for WW's are most likely out of the tire shops.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO

GunLoad Trainee

I had to get new tires last week. When I asked about wheel weights the owner said that someone came by regularly and paid $20 a bucket. The size he indicated with his hands for the bucket was about one gallon. That's here in California. OUCH! I can buy clean ingot lead for that price instead of dirty wheel weights. I am still looking for a good cheap or free source ( I guess we all do that )

mold maker retired

I got a vehicle inspection today that included a tire change. While there I got a 5 gal. bucket that was full to within 2" of the top. It weighed about 135# I estimate. I offered $15. and He said to come back about once every 3-4 weeks.
    Three or four months ago, he wanted $50. for a smaller amount.
    The down side is there are lots more Zinc and Steel weights in the mix.
    My hands are gonna get sore pinching all those small weights, looking to seperate them.

GunLoad Trainee

hi all,
    i went to the local reclamation yard, and got quoted $35 american for 1/2 a 5 gal pail
    w w's

GunLoad Trainee

I have checked several places around west fort worth. was told not allowed to sell or give away, They are returned to vendor or main office.

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by tackstrp View Post
    I have checked several places around west fort worth. was told not allowed to sell or give away, They are returned to vendor or main office.
    That's the standard answer I was getting to. Then it dawned on me that I had a friend of 30 years that owns 2 car dealerships. I stop in every3-4 weeks and get a 1/2 bucket at each. You never know when the lead Gods will shine on you!

GunLoad Trainee

I pick up ww as I walk/bike ride. I don't want to recover. I don't cast yet, but will have an adequate amount to start with,
    lt

When I was helping Cub Scouts with weighting Pinewood Derby cars, I used to get buckets free and any left-overs I sent happily down range, but these days just about everybody has some contractor who will send Guido after him if he lets anyone else near the WW bucket. Those very few who do still share them around won't even give a coffee-can full free to a Scout in uniform!

GunLoad Trainee

Find a plumber... My Father and Grandfather both supply me with old lead pipe they remove from homes weekly.