Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMR Trailboss thru Lee Autodisk measure?

GunLoad Trainee

Default IMR Trailboss thru Lee Autodisk measure?

Greetings all, I'm a new poster to this website....excellant forum. I have been loading .45 Colt for CAS Using Hodgdon CLAYS and am very satisified however....I would like to try Trailboss due to its bulk preventing a double charge in a progressive press. I am still using my old Dillon 450 (20 years + )with a LEE Pro Autodisk powder measure....I know I should upgrade the machine to a 550 but I am so used to using it as is. My question is, will the larger holes in the LEE disk drop the needed 5.5 to 6.5 grains of Traiboss? Does anybody use a LEE disk measure with this powder? With the Dillon measure it is recommended to use the rifle measure with Trailboss as the pistol measure doesn't have enough volume. Does anyone know the VMD of this powder? Thanks in advance, shoot safe, Bisley

Welcome to the guide Bisley!!! I have not shot any trail boss power yet. Been using Tight group in my SBH 44. it works really good with the special loads but not so good with my mag loads, was loading 7grs with a lee 240gr bullet. Got to shoot them over a chrony last week, They had like a 450fps ES
    I was rally pleased with my 7.5french tight group load!!! Shooting 13.5gr TG with a 185gr LEE bullet out of a 17" mas36 got 950fps,
    Sorry for hi-jacking your thread but i've been having a lot of problems starting new ones. need new computer!!!
    Toney Relic Hunter

Hi BB, welcome aboard!

I haven't tried TrailBoss yet but asked a similar question here: http://reloaders.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=331

If you don't have a 38Sp case I will check their volume for you (that would be 7.5gr for about 1.5cc ).
    You can also Email Jeff Quinn who wrote this : http://www.gunblast.com/IMR_TrailBoss.htm

kg

Toney, I'll start a thread for titegroup
    Last edited by kg42; 06-18-2006 at 10:02 PM.

GunLoad Trainee

Greetings all, thanks for the welcome...this will be one forum I will visit often. I did a little research on the LEE website and found the "volume measure density...VMD" for one grain of Trailboss. It is .2172. Unique's VMD is .1092 (about half) for one grain of powder. This means Trailboss is almost two times less dense as Unique per volume...2 grains of Unique takes up the space of 1 grain of Trailboss. The VMD number is the part of a cubic centirmeter needed to hold one grain of powder. The lower the VMD the less space it takes up. Using this number allows you to get a rough idea on which hole to use with the LEE Autodisk measure. This figure shows that I have large enough holes in the disk to drop this powder...the largest hole in the disk will allow a drop of 7 grains (approx.) of Trailboss . Of course this is just a ball park figure and will be worked up with a scale. It's amazing what you can find going to the source (LEE)...kinda like "if all else fails read the directions"...but by doing a search I found this forum...a win win. Again, thanks...I'll be a regular here. Safe reloading, Bisley

Dang! Last time I checked LEE's website the VMD table was 10 years old... thanks for the update

kg
    Last edited by kg42; 06-19-2006 at 06:07 PM.

GunLoad Trainee

Default Trail Boss in 45-70

Just checking in and saw the thread on Trail Boss. I intend to pick up a Marlin XLR in 45-70 tomorrow and want to load the 300 grain GC bullet in front of about 16.0 grains of Trail Boss. Has anyone used Trail Boss in their 45-70? I shoot cowboy lever action silhouettes and need something to take down those 200 yard rams. I've been told I don't need magnum primers so will probably use FC Large Rifle primers. I am also thinking of trying that bullet without the GC and using a .010 wad under the bullet. Anyone with any experience there? Thanks all- I would appreciate any feedback.

You all got me started using AA1680 powder in my 44 mag Winchester Legasy. I got up to 20 grains using a magnum primer with a 300 grain bullet at around 1300 FPS. Really works on those rams but now I gotta try the 45-70! Yeah- boys and their toys!! Take care out there!

Hi Dave, and welcome!

In the name of all the members, please accept our apologies for helping with your addiction .

I haven't used TrailBoss but there is some stuff here: http://www.reloadammo.com/4570load.htm
    (That's IMR's data with some notes)

I don't know your experience with casts so forgive me if I state obvious things.

About GC and wads, I suggest you work up loads to find the limits of that bullet in your gun; give a few weeks to your bullets to harden, and try unsized ones. If yours is the RCBS you probably won't need sizing anyways.

If you use a wad make sure there is no space between it and the bullet.
    I'm not sure wads work with GC cut bullets though...

..and please post your results .
    kg
    Last edited by kg42; 07-24-2006 at 08:00 PM.

GunLoad Trainee

Well, I picked up the XLR last week, loaded up some Trail Boss loads using the 310 grain RNFP- GC RCBS mould and 16.0 grains of TB and a W/W standard primer and Starline brass. Made sure the .010 card wad was up against the bullet base and put a tight crimp on it. I haven't chronyed it yet but the first 5 shots went into an honest 2 inch group at 100 yards. Since I'm not a big guy, I really liked the recoil- about like my .44 mag rifle. While reloading I noticed that the base of the bullet without the gas check fits really straight into a slightly belled case neck and seated very easily. Think I'm onto something here and can't wait to try it at the next lever action silhouette shoot. Thanks for the help!!

Welcome BB. Wish I could help, but can't. Only thing I can say is I added a Lee Powder adjustment bar to my powder feed and you can set it for anything and it holds way better than the disk. It cost $10.00. Good luck.
    " Free Men" do not ask permission to bear arms.

I have reloaded at least 2000 rounds with the Lee auto disk, and I like the original disk measures with the round holes over the adjustable charge bar. I have had no real problems using this measure and I am sure that you will be happy using it. I am an absolute believer in Trail Boss and use it in anything that I can. I think that it is the best cast bullet powder for pistols.