Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Farthest shot

GunLoad Trainee

Never did much long distance shooting, but did hit a cottontail at about 150 yards - he in full career across in front of me! Heart shot, dead before his feet hit the ground, and tumbled about 20 yards. M1 Garand - Pure luck...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    Distinguished Pistol Shot
    NRA Patron
    O&U

GunLoad Trainee

It took several shots around 4 if i remember right,i was around 15 but it was a wood pecker at about 250 yards with a iver johnson 22 carbine, best 22 i had ever owned, wore it smooth out i shot it so much.

Handloading Addict airborne556762's Avatar

Let`s see:

North Dakota jack rabbit 175 yards with a NEF single shot 17 HMR. No wind of course. Lazer rangefinder confirmed. Man I luv that gun. It typically shoots 5 shots into a 1/2 inch or less at 100yards.

My longest shot on any game is a South Dakota Mule deer buck at 498 yards with a 300 WSM Browning rifle. Another excellent shooting rifle. A Missouri whitetail doe last year at 367 yards with the same rifle. Both critters were confirmed for distance with a Leupold RX-III lazer rangefinder.
    Charlie Co. 4th Bn 325 Airborne Infantry Regiment (AIR)
    Combat Operations - Just Cause, Desert Shield/Storm
    82nd Airborne Division, Ft Bragg, North Carolina
    Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
    "Airborne Rangers lead the way!"

USCCA, NRA, NWTF, RMEF, and DU member
    "Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill humanely, never apologize!"

Furthest671 praire dog - 257 roberts IMP
    Closest - 3 cross fox - 358 Norma Magnum

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

GunLoad Trainee

I couple of weeks ago I hit a 12" steel target at 200 yards bench shooting my Marlin .357 levergun with an 18.5" barrel and open sights. I could barely see the target and wouldn't have known I even hit it were it not for my buddy watching through his spotting scope.
    GH1

I killed a deer @ 250 yards with my 7mm Rem Mag once, and at the range one day I hit a 2x6 on the berm @ 200 yards with my Ruger .45 Colt, after ranging it with 5 other shots..That one was pure luck. I have hit gopher silhouette targets @ 300 yards with my 30/06 A.I., along with a cabbage head.
    Once I went to a private range with my youngest son, and before we left I saw this man sized silhouette target waaaaaay down range. I asked my son about it and he said "We call that one Bill Clinton."
    I asked to shoot at it with his .308, and he set it up for me. I shot 5 rounds and got 5 hits. The target was 1000 yards away. That was the first time I ever shot at anything that far in my life.

Last edited by Tom W.; 05-30-2011 at 04:42 AM.
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

I heard someone say crow , well crow 120 yds. with Winchester model 370 single barrel using 3in magnum BB`s

45-70 Levergun Fanatic Old Ranger's Avatar

Ashau Valley, 1970. V.C. (varmit cong?) NVA Spotter for small mortar battery. Partially hidden in treeline. 750 meters. Win M70, 30'06, Redifeld 6X scope. Mortar rounds started falling shorter in a minute or two.

Wade
    You can never have enough rounds! Keep reloading!

Last week I shot a Varmint metallic chicken at 950 yards.... And a varmint turkey @ 600, both with my Savage Model 12 BVSS-S in .308.
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

GunLoad Trainee

Coyote at 300 paces with a 6.5-284 120 gr SST.
    Endeavor to persevere: To exert oneself in an effort to persist in an undertaking in spite of counterinfluences, opposition, or discouragements.