Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Farthest shot

Question Farthest shot

What was your farthest shot at a varmit that you hit and what caliber did you use?
    I just shot a woodchuck with my .223 55gr hp at 427 yards. I paced it off and the later my buddy and I checked it again with a laser range finder.....Awesome!!!
    ******Join the Magnum Gang******

Default Longest shot

When I was 13 I bought a mossburg 22 with a peep sight and fold down forearm, bolt action. A friend and I went rabbit hunting, and I was having one of those days when you are in the zone. I couldn't seem to miss. My buddy had a semi-auto and he shot at one jack a number of times, missing each time. The jack ran about 1/4 mile and sat up near a tank battery(oil field storage tanks). The sun was low behind us and the rabbit was shining bright. He said, hit that one, hot shot. I loosened the nut holding the peep sight and raised it to the highest position, aimed, then raised up a little and fired, the rabbit disappeared. He said, missed him, then we heard eeee... We went down and there lay the jack shot through the head. He told every guy at school the next day, for the rest of my school years I was known as a guy who could shoot! I figured it was best to limit who I went shooting with so I wouldn't lose my reputation.

Coyote at a little over 400 yards, .22-250 with Sierra 55gr GameKing SBT.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Actually about 3 weeks ago I took a rockchuck at 550 yards, my furthest shot so far with my .300 weatherby magnum. I got some of it on video tape too.. I might be able to share a little video.

Anywho, it took 4 shots. I went with my brother and he ranged it out at 490 yards (but was actually ranging a small groove in the valley in front of the chuck). So I shot three low and told him to re-range it. He said 549 yards and the rest is history... I used a shepherd 6 x 18 scope and love it.

It would have to be a Crow at 400yds using a .224improved (303-22 with the shoulder reformed from 60deg to 45deg ) with a 52 gn speer .

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Does a clay pidgeon count being shot at 100 yards with a Model 27 S&W .357 Mag from a rest sitting with open sights?

Take Care

A magpie on the wing with my Marlin 44 mag. at 150 yds. was probably my most impressive to me. Gophers at 400 to 450 with my heavy barrel savage 22-250.

That's a rush everytime to me.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

lovedogs

Out here in Montana where I live we do get in some pretty long shots at coyotes and prairie dogs so I had to think a while to recall my longest at small stuff.

Have a buddy who is an ex-1000 yd. shooter. He's always taking me out to see how far we can shoot a prairie dog. He hits real regularly with his fancy bench .30-06 and .308 Norma (Hart built) out to 500 yds. One day he got one at 817 yds. (ranged) with the '06. That same day was my longest hit, also. I knew he wanted to do long-range stuff so I took my custom Shilen-barreled .25-06. It took me three shots to get zeroed in on him, but I'm handicapped with only a 3.5X10 Leupold where he was using a Target model 36X Leupold. My shot was only 560 yds.

It wasn't a varmint, but I got a mule deer at 370 +/-, paced distance. That was with my old .25-06; Nosler 120 gr Partition, 48.5 gr IMR 4350, CCI 200. I traded that rifle off when I moved up here to AK as it is a little light for everything up here.

-Klaus

Thats all darn good shootin ......thanks for the replies
    ******Join the Magnum Gang******