Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check engine light

GunLoad Trainee

Did you reset the odometer counter for engine maintenance? How about the fuel tank - remove and then put cap back on with one or two clicks (my vehicles will give me an engine warning light if the cap is not sealed).

Yep Mike I did.The gas cap was the first thing I checked along with the oil cap.Ive been known to get in a hurry when changing oil and thought I might have not put the cap back on.

I love this Odometer because it goes up to,I DONT KNOW on TRIP.I use it to remind me when the oil needs changed.For the REG ODOMETER,i don't think it can be reset and don't think we are on the same page.Mine has the true mile reading and trip.Our car has two trips,A and B but they go to 999 only.I put a sticky note on the car to say when to change the oil.It wouldn't matter if the trip went to 100,000 on the car because the wife resets it every time she fills up with gas.Dont know why because it don't matter what gas mileage it gets,,,EMPTY IS EMPTY the way I see it.Put gas in it or walk.I wish my truck got 36 MPG though and that's what our car gets on average no matter where she buys gas at.My truck gets a whooping 18.5 to 19 on a good day.

Pickle, We beat the crap out of our work trucks plowing. The one that has the issue is a 2005 F250 and has thrown that code since 20,000 miles or so. Nobody wants to buy my work truck if they saw me plowing with it

mikeh, welcome aboard. The new gas caps are a PITA. Ran into that issue a few times.

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

I had a 1962 Catalina, no check engine light on that beast! ROFL!

I think I figured it out.The temp gauge has been running a tad low and thought it was because its been cold here.I put a thermostat in it today and hope that takes care of it.The temp gauge is running in the middle of C&H now like it always has.It wasn't easy to change but not that bad either.Three bolts and one hose clamp= 45 minutes.

Got the truck fixed.Took it to Advance Auto and the computer said coolant bla bla.I put a thermostat in it and problem is solved.Guess the thermostat was sticking open and not letting the motor get up to 190 or so.I thought the temp hand was running a tad low because it been just freaking cold out.

$20 and 45 minutes of work got it.The temp hand runs in the middle now like always instead of two needle widths down.I bet that's why I noticed it was burning more gas also.If the temp isn't right than the computer tells it to add fuel or air.Its was tight getting it changed but id bet the Ford garage would have handed me a bill for about $400 or more.I almost took the throttle body off to get to it but had about 3/8" of room to change it.

HELLBOY,you was beating the nails head all to heck when you asked if the heater was working good.Its was,but not like it has and thought that 10 to 25 degrees outside was the problem with the heater and motor temp.You get a pat on the back brother.

All of the Fords I had or had at work have excellent heaters in them. Nothing like plowing snow with the heater on max, the windows partially open and wearing a tshirt.... just to keep the windshield clean.

How would you check it if the bulb burned out?

Do Hyundais have check engine lights? I have overheard people knocking Hyundais as cheap, poorly made vehicles. I must have been lucky. Not joking.
    Last edited by j1; 06-06-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Sell it while it still runs.

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

I DETEST check engine lights and their stupid code readers. I have an O2 code that comes on. I have replaced the sensor one time, repaired the wires one time, and replaced the wires once. I*t's *on* *# AGAIN #*