Thread: AI question?

Cool AI question?

Hey guys,
    I just got a 30-30 AI barrel and don't yet have dies.
    Q. Can I reload using 30.06 decapping die and 30 Herrett FL to NECK SIZE only (as long as I gently pull the brass until 40* shoulder just touches dies interior 30* shoulder)?
    Then seat bullet using 30 Herrett seating die?
    Thank you in advance for your sage advice.
    Jimmy
    Last edited by gemihur; 02-25-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: clarify

You can use any 30 cal FL die so long as it's short enough for the neck to reach all the way, and doesn't touch the shoulder or body. The larger the body diameter is, however, the greater the chance of getting the neck out of alignment. I use a 308 die to neck size 30-06 which works pretty well.

The Herrett, from what I understand, is basically a shortened 30-30 AI, so it should do the trick.
    "I often wonder if the world is being run by smart people who put us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it" - Mark Twain

plus one on what Doc said.

Yepper to the above.I just loaded three 240 weatherby mag rounds using my 243 dies until the 240 dies come in the mail.Set the dies high to only neck size and seat the bullets.I will test them tomorrow to see how they group.I use the wrong die for a lot of stuff and it works great until they need full length sizing.By then,the right dies show up in the mail but still use differ dies to size necks if the case is smaller in dia and drop to the bottom of the die without touching the case body or shoulder.

I see that you are from Roanoke VA.Im about 50 miles away to the west.Maybe we can get together sometime and do some shooting.