Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 240 weatherby mag

Default 240 weatherby mag

Got the 240 weath mag today and its another tack driver.I cleaned the barrel good before I fired it and three shots with factory rounds cut holes easy at 65 yards.I cant wait to get the dies and load for it.I hate to buy factory ammo but a box of the cheapest factory rounds was the same price as a box of brass.I needed them to break the barrel in slowly anyway.I put a ell cheapo tasco scope on it until my dies and good scope comes in the mail this week.

ANYONE have any 240 mag brass to sell? I tried to ask in the classifies but it didn't post.I have piles of differ brass to trade also in many differ cals.I don't need much brass if this baby is like the 257mag.Ive got about 30 reloads out of the 257 weatherby brass and the are still working great.Best brass that ive ever seen and I push that 257mag very hard.Annealing them and neck sizing is why.Im looking for once fired Weatherby or maybe Norma brass only.

This sucker has a 1-10 twist and hope it will like a 70grn or so bullet instead of a 100.Time will tell and my powder is getting slim.Im thinking 4350,4831,R19 or heck,who knows.ANY THOUGHTS WILL BE GREAT.

Hey Pickle, did you see the picture of my Weatherby Mark V 240? Which model did you end up getting, a Vanguard or Mark V???? I don't have any brass to offer, I only have 4 bx of factory ammo I bought on Gunbrokers, and have not been able to find any anywhere either.

Para,i did not see the pic and didn't know you got one you dirty dog.I bought the S2 because the 257mag shot so good.They had a fancy S2 with a fluted barrel and spider web stock but couldn't see putting $1099 in it.The 257 was $457 last year and the 240 was $519.Had to buy the $58 rounds because they didn't have the $38 ones.All I wanted was the brass and they had 6 boxes of brass for $35 ea.Heck i would have bought 5 boxes of weath $38 ammo if they had them in stock compared to about the same as just the brass.I can get you plenty of brass but they are $35 for 20 pieces in the weath box.Im holding out for a bit because i have people looking for once fired brass and i will share with you.

Cool, bro, thanks! yeah, I got lucky and found this beautiful Mark V Deluxe. I posted a picture with my first post. Here is a picture, check her out. I can't wait to get out and shoot it.

Name:  240.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  33.1 KB

BTW, that is one of the old Redfield TV screen scopes.

Very nice Oscar.I think you will love it.I have the very same scope on my 7mag.It don't gather light like the new stuff does but mine has never lost zero since 1970 when dad bought the rifle and scope new.Them suckers are heck to site in but you could beat it with a 2x4 and never knock it off.Just shot the three rounds that I used the 243 dies to load.Not bad at all,the fouler shot was a tad high and the next two burnt holes at 65 yards.I was going to shoot it at 100 but didn't think my 87grn load would hit the paper.They shot in the same place that the 100grn factory rounds did.

Thanks for the info on the scopes. I remember when I was a kid, my uncle had a Rem 700 and had one of those scope on them, it was the coolest thing back then. BTW, my 240 has the nine lugs bolt, the newer ones only have six, and from what I've read it is the one most people want. I think I got lucky on this one. I can't wait to go out and shoot it.

You will love it.If yours is heavy like mine is then the recoil is like a light weight 243.I will say this,the R19 powder that I just tried seemed to be very promising for accuracy but man that stuff is dirty burning.Im cleaning the barrel again right now and three shots with the R19 was harder to get out than the three factory rounds for sure.

Once the dies get here,i will get the chrony out and start trying differ powders.If the 240 is like the 257,it loves to be pushed very hard for super accuracy.Dont hold back and dump some powder in it.I never say this but your not new to this game and know safety and have a weath mag in the 300 if I remember right.

I tried many differ powders in the 257mag and 7828ssc gave me the FPS that the factory ammo was running with no pressure signs other than a cratered primer.The factory ammo done the very same.The three 240 factory rounds had cratered primers also. Anneal that weath brass every three or four shots and it will last up to 30 or more handloads if neck sized and FLS after about 4 to 5 shots depending how hard you run them.You can neck size the weath mags with a FLS die and that's what I use mainly even though I have a Redding neck die for the 257mag.Just size 3/4 or less of the neck until the bolt gets snug to shut.

If my thoughts need to be deleted than please do so because I know others read this and some browser's might blow a rifle to heck or get hurt.

Hey Pickle, haven't seen you over at the "Bomb Shelter". Have you heard about it? Come visit the family @ http://reloadbench.freeforums.net/

Cool Pickle, thanks for the advice! I need to educate myself on the anneal process, I've never done it. I've read the same thing on the 257, that it shines when pushed hard. Again, thanks! I need to get me some more 7828, because my 300 loves that stuff, and hopefully the 257 will like it too.

MMAX,thanks for the info and Blue-Dot sent me the site info also.Yall sure are confusing me to where I need to be and prefer to be on one site only with the old gang instead of jumping around place to place.

Oscar,a number of powders worked great in my 257 with differ grain bullets.Here is what my notes say.R22,R25 and H1000 for the 115grn Berger VLD.R25 gave the highest FPS and all powders was very accurate when slowly pushed to the red line.R19,R22,H4350 and 7828ssc worked great for the 100grn SMK or SGK but 7828ssc gave me about 3470 FPS and the factory weath 100grn spritzer was running at about 3450 FPS.R19 and 4350 was a tad more accurate but was running at about 3240 FPS.If it wasn't for owning a chrony,id never know this.Books mean a lot to me but them darn test barrels that most use is nothing like a factory tube.Heck,you might get way more or way less out of a factory barrel and trying differ things is how I do it.

Annealing brass is very,very easy and wish I tried it many moons ago.I watched some vids on youtube a few times and tried a few differ ways on junk brass to learn.My favorite is to use a deep well socket that the case drops in without a lot of slop and that way your fingers don't get hot.Take a butane torch and heat the neck/shoulder until you see the color starting to change while rotating the case.You don't want to get the body hot and I like only see the color of the brass change no more than 1/4" or so below the shoulder in an even line.You can toss them in room temp water or dump them on a towel to cool.If you use water,deprime them first because the drying process is faster and the water dumps out better with the flash hole acting as a vent.

Im going to do the three 240 cases in a few and will send you some pics of before and after.I can type for days but not very good with words and pics sometimes works better.