Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock problems

Before participating in IDPA, I carried a Charter Bulldog. It was only after a couple of years of IDPA matches that I felt competent enough with a 1911 to carry one every day.

The first year of IDPA was quite a revelation! After decades of target shooting from a stance, I never dreamed how FAST I could miss a man sized target 7 yards away LOL!

Or how easy it is to not seat the mag completely when under pressure and have it drop out of the bottom of the gun on the first shot.

Or how easy it is to not watch where my muzzle is pointing.

Or how easy it is to forget to take off the safety.

Or how easy it is to jam a gun that never jams at the range.

Or how slow a slide moves in cold weather when you have too much grease on it.
    "I often wonder if the world is being run by smart people who put us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it" - Mark Twain

Yep. You can lay that first-hand experience on the table for all to see but there are still knotheads aplenty out there.

I've owned five different 1911s that I can recall and never had a bit of trouble shooting them---although I never could shoot my P-13 as well as any of the others. But being honest with yourself requires a touch of humility, and I guess that's something that will get hammered into you as you mature (I think this has happened to me over the years)...but I recognize that if I choose to carry my 1911, I am taking unnecessary risk. That's why I always carry a CW40 and/or an XD40. I think even those with little experience at all will never forget to point the gun and pull the trigger. These pistols are as simple to operate as a DA revolver. A 1911 requires more than a DA revolver or the semi-auto pistols that operate like them.

One day and hopefully soon I will hop back into handgun shooting with a bit of fervor and get myself back up to the level where I once was. I have a Springfield Range Officer that is a sweet shooter, just got it late last fall, and I want to get very, very proficient with it. I intend to drill enough that I can safely and competently carry a 1911 on a daily basis.
    Still an ogre in need of hormone therapy, living under a bridge somewhere in Texas.

I am getting nervous, for reason, about my Glock. Think I am going to shoot up my 40 S & W ammo sell my Glock and buy a Sig in 9 mm. I have enough things wrong with me do not really need or want a hole in my leg.

Hah. We made j1 paranoid. I will give you $5 for the Glock.

Geeze, John. Now look what you did, you got Hellrazor slobberin' all over hisself.

Honestly, I think you'll be fine with your Glock. You're obviously far more concerned with the safety of handling it than most folks. But if you really have negative feelings about the Glock, give the XD a look. It's got several safety features that are absent on a Glock, and if you've never handled one you may be surprised at the feel of it. I know it feels way better to me than a Glock does (and I'm really NOT a Glock basher!) and I believe it may be more accurate to boot...at least that's what the guys at the last concealed carry school seem to think based on how they see folks shooting (they say that folks who shoot XDs seem to turn in the best targets). Also consider the added complexity of a manual safety. Manual safeties require training whether they are on a Sig or a 1911 if you want to be truly competent with the gun.

Just my 2 cents, old friend.
    Still an ogre in need of hormone therapy, living under a bridge somewhere in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellrazor View Post
    Hah. We made j1 paranoid. I will give you $5 for the Glock.
    That's not right!! I'll give you $6!!
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

Now what need would a French Model have for a Glock....I'll give $7

Safer than one of these:Name:  zeolots.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  35.1 KB
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

No slobbering here. If I can get a Glock for under $10 I might just own one. For semis I have a S&W 9, XD 45 & XDM 40.

I'll go $8.50!