Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock problems

Default Glock problems

Are Glocks really more dangerous?
    Last edited by j1; 03-10-2014 at 04:09 PM.

GLS (Glock Leg Syndrome) can be fatal. The secretary at work was a friend of the family:
    http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/...icer-died.html

I'm not sure whether I believe they're actually more dangerous or you hear more about accidental self shootings with them because they're so danged prevalent. I know I prefer an XD, in part because of the way it feels in my hand and in part because of the grip safety the XD has. It also has loaded chamber and cocked indicators.

Glocks are as safe as the hand that holds them. Just like any other quality firearm. You'll know if you "trust'm" in the 1st 5 mins of handling and shooting one. If you don't feel comfortable there are MANY that are of similar shape only a bit differently designed action.

PS--- I like Glocks. I have used and abused one for 20 years. I think of it as the most intuitive point and click device I've ever owned.

~Clayt

GLS (Glock Leg Syndrome) is real and was fatal for a policeman here a few months ago. Phenix City Police Sgt. Daniel V. Davis died on Nov. 10 after suffering massive blood loss. He accidentally shot himself in the leg, severing the femoral artery and bled out before the ambulance arrived.
    Phenix City is the sister city of Columbus, Ga, just across the Chattahoochee River.

The Phenix City Police Dept. uses the 40 S&W Glock 22.

A google search of "glocked himself":
    https://www.google.com/search?q=gloc...locked+himself
    Last edited by DrHenley; 02-14-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    "I often wonder if the world is being run by smart people who put us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it" - Mark Twain

The problem with the Glocks seems to be the lighter than average trigger pull. If I recall correctly the
    N Y C and Chicago police departments changed the triggers on their Glocks to a heavier pull.

Never draw with your finger in the trigger guard. Failure to learn basic safety lesson: Natural Selection.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Some of the best documented cases of GLS were while holstering. The trigger caught on a fold of clothing or edge of the holster.
    "I often wonder if the world is being run by smart people who put us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it" - Mark Twain

"Always pay attention when holstering" was like a reinforcement of "Pay attention when you zip up your fly."

But I hear what you're saying.

Doing things the same ways that were always safe to do with a revolver are downright dangerous with a Glock. Looking at the reports, clearly it is often complacency that kills, experienced people who should know better feel that they don't need weapon specific training when they switch to a Glock. And sometimes it takes years for karma to catch up, but sooner or later they the ones end up shooting the ends off their winkies or their legs, (or someone else's leg, or winky, etc) and of course it's all the Glock's fault.

Like anything else though, all it takes is awareness and practice to be safe. Complacency results in statistics. I carry both a revolver and a Glock, never had an accidental discharge, all body parts more or less intact. If you don't practice, you fumble under stress and make stupid mistakes. If anything, practice with the Glock makes me more aware when drawing and holstering the revolver, never a bad thing.

What would happen if firearms manufacturers started suing those who did stupid things with their products, damaging their good name? Likewise felons using their guns, too? Journalists sensationalizing it? "Your inappropriate and irresponsible use of our product and the subsequent national exposure by the news media has damaged our professional reputation resulting in a demonstrable loss of sales of $Mil per month since the incident. Sales figures attached."
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

+1

"I-already-know-everything-I-need-to-know" attitudes are dangerous, and sadly they are very prevalent. A perfect example is when you try to convey the idea to folks bent on using a 1911 for concealed carry that they'd best engage in some very intensive training so that they will operate the safety instinctively. That advice is almost universally ignored in forums.

It's funny how ignorance and downright stupidity go on naked display wherever there's a gun counter or a 1969 Chevelle SS 396 with the hood up.
    Still an ogre in need of hormone therapy, living under a bridge somewhere in Texas.