Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington R51

Default Remington R51

This new Remington pistol has caught my fancy. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because it's a REMINGTON pistol...

Their first foray back into making pistols didn't really excite me much. Another 1911? Really? Sounded like a "ME TOO" thing. But this is different!

I'm not even a Remington fan. In fact I don't currently even own a Remington of any kind. But I gotta hand it to Remington stepping out like this and coming up with something out of the ordinary.

Name:  remington_r51_10.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  64.9 KB

It reminds me of a .22 that was on the market many years back. The name escapes me, they stopped making new parts for my rememberer a long time ago, but the smooth curves and lines of this one reminds me of it.

I have a number of older Remington rifles and shotguns, but they haven't made anything in a very long time that has interested me. I will be curious to hear reports on it. It is a looker, but the last time a went for a looker on impulse I ended up with a nasty case of..... oh, never mind.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

actually log ago .... remington made a few pistols then ,sadly, they quit for many a year , the above one kind of reminds me of james bond's gun ( PPK IIRC tho he originally started out with a beretta 418 ) the remington is smooth enough to be sexy !!

I see a little Buck Rodgers in there too.
    I'd like to feel one in the flesh, hopefully it won't be too long before the local wallet vacuum has them in stock.

~Clayt

I always thought the original 51 in .380 would be a decent pocket pistol. It was really slim and looked like it would be very easy to conceal. Not a .380 fan by any stretch, but there are times you just can't (or maybe I should just speak for myself??) hide a 1911 on you. The criticism I've seen on the new 51 is that it's actually quite large, by today's standards, for a pistol in .380 ACP. I have yet to see one up close and personal, though.

Vers, I wonder if you aren't thinking of the Whitney Wolverine...

The new 51s are 9mm +p, check the chamber stamp on Docs picture above.
    ~Clayt

Sure enough, Clayt. I'm not sure I've seen it mentioned...if I did I wasn't paying attention. I guess that gives it excuse enough to weigh a few more ounces than the old 51s. Those came in .32as well as .380 ACP, IIRC.

RR, where do you get parts for your rememberer? It works a lot better than mine does. That's the pistol.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I forget, Vers. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRider View Post
    but there are times you just can't (or maybe I should just speak for myself??) hide a 1911 on you.[/img]
    LOL! I just realized that you probably left the RLB before I SAW THE LIGHT and became a 1911 fan.

I tried carrying a full sized 1911, and then went to a Commander length, and finally got this Sig Ultra Carry, which I CAN hide very effectively in a cargo pocket:
    Attached Images Attached Images