Thread: Single Shots: How I got started

Default Single Shots: How I got started

I grew up shooting an old Winchester single shot bolt action 22, but my first deer rifle was a Browning BAR in 30-06. I literally wore that BAR out and after several decades the spring got weak and it started having trouble going into battery.

Several times I pulled the trigger on a deer only to have it go "CLICK" because the bolt wasn't all the way down. It took a while to get into the habit of slamming the charging handle down every time I loaded the chamber. But several times I missed on the first shot and in the heat of the moment forgot to slam it home, then getting that dreaded "CLICK" on the second shot.

Well, when I started reloading, I got a lot more accurate, and was able to put together a long string of one shot kills over several decades of deer hunting. I jokingly called my BAR a "Single Shot Automatic" because it was for all intents and purposes a single shot.

One day the thought occurred to me that I would be better off with a REAL single shot rifle! That way I would never be surprised by a jam.

Oh, I played around with bolt actions and lever guns for a few years, but I finally bit the bullet and got a Browning Highwall in 30-06. I haven't hunted with anything but single shots since then!

That eventually led to getting a smaller single shot - an Encore pistol in 454 Casull. And of course I needed an Encore pistol chambered in a rifle cartridge. So I have a 15" 6.8 SPC barrel (damned accurate too). If you can call it a pistol LOL. More like a rifle without a buttstock.

So that's how I got here. A long and winding route that took decades....
    Last edited by DrHenley; 02-04-2014 at 10:05 PM.

I know that this will inspire some talk but the best shooting rifle that I have is an H&R SB2 in 45-70. Next time I am in New England I will bring it with me.

Beautiful Downtown South Carolina Where the Frenchies all hang out

Doc
    My first experience with a single shot rifle was a TC contender carbine in 30/30 win
    I was out hunting and had a doe in sight
    So I slowly closed the action and then squeezed the trigger and it went click
    Happened 3 times
    When I got home I made sure it was unloaded and tried to figure out why it wouldn't shoot
    Came to find out by closing it real lightly so it wouldn't make noise the hammer block wouldn't drop out of the way

I've found the Ruger #1s to be intriguing but have not yet owned one. I've seen them shoot very, very well!

I like single shots but got a bad one about 8 years ago so I haven't messed with another.Mine was also a SB2 handi rifle but was in the 243.I tried many differ powders and bullets but the metal in the barrel along with the chamber reaming sucked bad.The rifle shot half decent when the barrel was hot.Not cool,not warm but hot.At one time I thought it was going to be ok after trying some 100grn NBT's in it.I got up the next morning and missed a doe at 45 yards broad side standing still.I shot the rifle after returning home and it would hit 2 feet off with a 28 degree barrel.I guess I could have set it up for one shot only with a cold barrel but after missing a few deer very close,i was done with it.Found a dummy to buy it for about the same I paid so I was very happy.

Ive heard the 223,25-06 and 45-70 was the best shooters in the SB2 and the 243 was the worst.Not sure but will never try another to find out.

Ive also wanted a #1 but love bolt guns to much.Guess PARA/Oscar has been so tied up in his move and work that he hasn't got to play with his 25-06 in the Ruger.

My real intro to single shots have been muzzle loaders. The local hunting regulations in NH allow you to hunt 10 days before "firearms" season opens for deer. "Muzzle loader season" has really become very popular in NH.

I'm thinking of having NEF fit a .50 ML barrel to a SB2 for me.

Single shot has changed my deer hunting methods for the better.
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

Love your pic Clayt.I hope everyone has seen that commercial

Bonjour! LMAO!!!!!!!

The only single shot I mess with are muzzleloaders. During buck season I want something with 4 or 5 shots ready to go. Don't usually need it but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by picklehead View Post
    Love your pic Clayt.I hope everyone has seen that commercial
    Gotta believe the internet!
    ~Clayt

hunter at large