Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DrHenley here

GunLoad Trainee

heck, i plumb *forgot* I'm not at my "home", i'm out and about n some new site... sorry, i lost my considerable presence of mind. No one wants to hear glin jokes about my busted water lines and my "improvised" privvy arrangments, most likely.

To stay on topic? I myself own a 264-RLB as well. I WANNA remember i have, like, serial number 0006 or serial number 0007 or something like that.

Mines a short action winchester action, used to be a 223, another "refugee" who does a lot of wildcatting rebarreled it to the RLB264. (single shot with the long rounds though). Mine is "throated", and it likes a certain brand of 140 grain pills best. When fed exactly what it wants, and its a good day for both me and the gun and the load... i have shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards that had *serious* overlap, were not talking cloverleaf, the first two shots you had to use a digital caliper to prove 2 holes were made, lol...

like a complete IDIOT that i am fully capable of BEING?? i couldnt find the projectile it demands, and i impulse bought some other common 6.5mm 140g pills...

with over 100 rounds of this "bargain 140g load" (full case of i *think* reloader 17?) i found myself trying my gun out at of all places a real thousand yard range. It was MOA all day long out to 300 and 350 yards, before i literally ran out of "dots" to count on my mil dot scope i threw on it. Which being about all the range to shoot a deer at anyways, i called it a day. it was a nightmare day for wind, high wnds, coming and going all day. Switch winds? does not cover it... when you see 6 different wind flags from 100 to 600 pointing in six different directions? you know its bad... then when ONE of them is somehow pointing almost straight UP IN THE AIR ?? well, like Benghazi "this is clearly not optimal", LMAO

for all the wind problems?? th dang thing just dropped straight down th mil dots out to 300 or 350, where i ran out of dots, LMAO

having been given 120 and 130 grainn "fireforming" loads with it?? They were loaded to less velocity, and THEY were doing just under an MOA out to the same distances... i just had to make notes of how many dots right they were from my zero...

i was fairly impressed with the thing... it actually got "monotonous" to hit MOA and just under all day long.

120 grain fireformers? 2 and a half dots to the right... half a dot down for the 100 yard zero... 200 yards out? this many dots down...

...i got to where i had it "timed" so well I just simply SHOT... and grabbed a smoke and LIT the smoke in time with the "ping!" i knew was coming...

================================================== ===================

it in one day went from a "novelty" to own it... to being one of my most highly prized posessions, LMAO... and without even the projectile it WANTS to be fed, either, lol... ad i will freely admit? its kind of a "kick" when someone asks about the round i am describing to them?? I can turn around and point to the silkscreen of the CAD drawing on my back of my tshirt...lol

when i SHOW someone the loaded rounds?? I have gotten tired of explaining the ballistics to them, lol... otherwise knowedgeable reloaders?? it short circuits their brain to SEE a tiny cartridge, with a LONG pill in it... and i am claiming it starts out slower than a "real gun" as they put it... but that a couple hundred yards OUT, its high BC lets it RETAIN enough speed, that it beats the bigger guns from then on out.

(they also dont believe it "can" group well at 200 and 300 yards? cos its too tiny to group well, LMAO.)

================================================== ==========

i also get a kick out of casually saying... when they say they never heard of the caliber before??

"Oh yeah... mines serial number 0006 or something... theres less than 10 in the world that i know of as of yet"

================================================== ====================

ONE of our refugee members?? used it "successfully" at 1000 yards in a competition, LMAO... (i figure hes good at reading wind, which i aint, lol)

================================================== ====================

my gun is pretty cool, by my standards. Its fun to shoot paper with, at any reasonable distance... and its got a short barrel on it, its not a heavy gun to lug around all day (like my 223 is a bit of a pig to carry around)

its just... rather accurate, and kinda perfect being a short fairly light gun and all. I CAN shoot a heavier recoiling gun if i want to, but... no real need as this things as calm as a bunny on th bench, its not burning powder i aint "using"

EDITED to ADD:

PS --- apparently? there was "some discussion" that such and such twist rate, with 140g pills ? would not "stabilize"... anyways, i got that scuttlebutt from the refugee who sold me the gun... if memory serves me, it *might* have been DOC H that was arguinf it with the owner i ought it off of?? (I was supposed to make it a point to always "mention it", it was kind of a condition of the sale, LMAO)

after i shot a 3-shot bughole with it?? he asked me if i thought it was "stabilized"... I said something like "I do not know if its stabilized or not... but... if it AINT stabilized? i like the way its unstabilized."

LMAO...
    Last edited by sedstar; 02-09-2014 at 05:10 AM.

Howdy Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRider View Post
    Howdy Doc.
    Howdy!

It's almost starting to feel like old times again

Now if Greg will just sign up!

Quote Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post

...................Now if Greg will just sign up!
    I just saw him and Sasquatch in the NH woods just yesterday.

~Clayt

..and howdy, sed...didn't mean to walk right past you without sayin' a word.

GunLoad Trainee

hi river.

wouldnt bother me if you DID, i been gettin some of that lately, ha ha.

*shrugs*

whatever... which brings up a funny analogy of people? many will say there are dog people and cat people. Now, DOG people? they expect a warm welcome, the whole room has to run up and sniff them and run around. They own a DOG, they expect that.

ME? I own a CAT... cats are dfferent. One day? i might come home and get fur rubbed ALL over me, and all that. Other days? you say th cats name, and it turns around stiff legged, and lifts its tail STRAIGHT up in the air to you, and walks away stiff-legged (which is the CAT version of a middle finger, LOL)

It dont bother me none one way or the other. Maybe tomorrow the cat will rub up against me. *whatever* it is what it is.

I am a dog owner who loves watching my dog "interact" with cats. For some reason there is hissing, growling and a chase almost every time. The first time my field trial springer met a stray cat it was interesting. She was about 7 months old at the time. Cat backed in a corner, dog went to smell at it, cat hissed & took a swing, my dog growled and wet ape shit on it. Cat was lucky it got out of the fence under the gate.

My FIL had a dog that got along good with cats... As long as they didn't run. If they ran, as far as she was concerned it was now stmbk. (Something that must be killed). She didn't care where she was or the cat for that matter. The yard around the house was the most dangerous and the neighbors were cat people and took in every sray that came along. So, cats were always wondering out into the yard or field. Dog would see it and go to investigate. Cat would see the dog and try to make a run for. Dog would see cat running and her investigator mode would turn to stmbk mode. She'd catch it, shake the living crap out of it, and then shake it again for good measure. She was smart about too, she never drag them home for everyone to see, just left them dead in the field. I think she had a deal with the turkey buzzards! Had to be really careful,with her at houses with cats. She'd back them into a corner and wouldn't really bother them unless they took a swipe at her, hissed too much or tried to run. Hey look! Something that must be killed!

BB

We have a cat that has NO fear of dogs and dogs don't seem to know what to make of that. The neighbors' dogs used to come over and we'd let them into the house and hang out a while, but ever since we got Rudy they don't ask to be let in anymore. He wouldn't hurt a flee, but he sure has the dogs buffaloed. Our Siberian Husky treats him with great respect.
    Still an ogre in need of hormone therapy, living under a bridge somewhere in Texas.

Doc you are not showing people that little tiny cartridge Greg sent me are you? That thing is clearly not big enough to kill a deer.

You guys remember Greg don't you?
    Last edited by j1; 02-28-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Add info