Thread: DrHenley here

Default DrHenley here

Howdy folks!

Welcome Doc! Glad you made it.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

For the regulars here, a little history might be in order.

We've been regulars on the Reload Bench (AKA The RLB) for some time. The RLB inexplicably died with no word from the admin, Greg about what happened.

The RLB had temporarily died before, so a member called Sedstar set up a backup board on Lefora as a "bomb shelter" as he called it. Well the bomb shelter turned into a refugee camp when the RLB went down for good. But before that happened, the board was migrated to Yuku, which has all sorts of problems, too many to go into here.

We developed a wildcat cartridge called the 264 RLB as a community project on the RLB. It is a 6.8 SPC, necked down to 6.5mm and with the body blown out and the shoulder blown forward.
    Name:  264RLBspecs.gif
Views: 251
Size:  3.6 KB

I have killed a number of deer and coyotes with it, and a hog. It is an amazingly efficient cartridge with killing power far beyond it's size.
    Here are a few of the kills:
    My first kill with the 264 RLB.
    130 grain Swift Scirocco
    29.5 gr AA25520
    2560 fps
    Name:  pig1.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  11.2 KB
    One of the coyotes was shot in the ear at 420 yards!
    120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
    30 gr AA2520
    2660 fps
    Name:  coyotes123.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  19.9 KB
    As far as I know, this is the biggest deer killed with the 264 RLB
    130 gr Nosler Accubond
    33 gr Reloder 17
    2470 fps
    Name:  monster-buck.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  97.2 KB

This shows just how small the cartridge is:
    (the Accubond load)
    Name:  small-round.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  68.1 KB
    Last edited by DrHenley; 02-05-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Welcome to the board Dr. Henley and glad to see versifer. This is Mike in TX from the RLB. Miss the board but this is a very good board. I understand that Clayt is coming aboard also. Hope to see many others from RLB.

Howdy from Central Alberta.

Is the 264RLB about the same size as the 6mmPPC?

thanks Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    Is the 264RLB about the same size as the 6mmPPC?
    Almost identical case capacity, but the 264 RLB is much more efficient. The 264 RLB gets roughly the same velocity with 130 grain bullets that the 6mmPPC gets with 107 grain bullets.

The 6.5mm bullets get phenomenal penetration with their very high sectional density. That's why Karamojo Bell liked to use the 6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer on elephant (which has similar ballistics to the 264 RLB.) I have yet to recover a bullet.

When we first came up with the specs, there were some who doubted whether the cartridge would be effective on deer. It turned out to be a solid 300 yard deer cartridge.

With the original throating, there was a problem seating longer bullets like the 130 grain Accubond. On my second 264 RLB, I had it throated to allow 130 grain bullets to be seated way out.
    Last edited by DrHenley; 02-06-2014 at 04:42 AM.

Howdy Doc, maybe we should call our group the RLB Gypsies? Mark

i have to admit that i like most things 6.5 ...( my other love is .375 ) unlike many i've never seen anything wrong with ye olde humble 6.5 jap [shrugz] i've also found that with more ummm efficient cartridges the softer/lighter projectiles dont do too shabby and tend not to blow up as much as they would in say an extremely overbored round , seems in today's quest for bigger badder so called best many forget that no matter the caliber shot placement is everything
    sometime when i have more time i'll compare it to the jap as well as one that kinda took my eye , the 6.5 x 39 , yes i know that it wouldnt be the same as my 6.5 x 284 by any means but that makes it none the less worthy ( it is a 6.5 after all !!! )

Another advantage of an underbore round is that when you make a shot at dusk, you don't get blinded by the muzzle flash and can watch the impact of the round.

When hunting with the big boomers, I rarely got to actually see the moment of impact. A number of times I lost sight of the deer altogether when I pulled the trigger.

BTW, the 6.5 Jap uses about 10 grains more powder than the 264 RLB, and gets about 100-200 fps less velocity.
    Last edited by DrHenley; 02-08-2014 at 03:24 AM.

GunLoad Trainee

okay...

after a week OFFLINE due to white stuff and ice (clearly formed by global warming) i got the cble guys out here, and they ran a new line.

so, i am back on line now and have my basic cable TV back.
    i registered oo HERE, but if your reading this, you already KNOW that.

one of the three cable workers wanted to use the bathroom? I handed him a BUCKET. he just LOOKED at me, like i had seemed friendly up till handing him the bucket? I explained gloabl warming took out all my water lines right before it attacked the cable lines, LMAO (he declined the use of th bucket... geez, you pay a guy more than 20 dollars an hour, they turn all high fallutin...LMAO)