Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: new here

It is normal for them. It is not an unusual sight to see them along the New England coast at low tide or after a storm. Seaweed is and incredibly rich source of minerals for them, great to build bones and antlers. Bears also will eat it as will domestic livestock when there is access.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

ok

Many thanks Versifier,Hope the weather is a little kinder next trip. Will work close to shoreline.

Quote Originally Posted by ancestor
    Have been down to Stewart Is, at the bottom of N.Z. White tail deer were liberated by some forward thiking people probably 100 years ago. Any how it was blowing 50 knots+horizontal rain couldnot get inflatable ashore had to watch the little blighters eating seaweed on the shore.Is this normal for these fellows or is it a bad habit they have picked up overhere:
    I haven't Heard of Stewart Island in years Couple of Mates of mine hunted it back in the late 60s as meat shooters! They damned near died there due to the foul weather ! They couldn't get resupplied or get their deer off the island for about a month! They reckon it's the place that Wind was invented !

I know this is off topic but do you still have the Forrestry dept Goat & rabbit control shooters over there ? I know that the Old deer cullers finnished up years ago (almost came across to take up a position with the forrestries dept myself but backed out at the last min prefering to take a position on the Dog Fence over here for a couple of years ! All seems like a 100yrs ago now but I sometimes wnder if I should of taken the post your side of the creek

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

ok

Dave Hi, The old forestry was taken over by the dept of conservation which is run by the greenies headed by a green politician and a bunch of academics on top floor, whose only ambition seems is to rid the country of all introduced species. They drop 1080 poision by the ton(it is so toxic it has been banned just about everywhere in the world) and basically destroyed the old infrastructure which worked so well.A real good one is modern goat hunting;catch a billy and put a radio collar on him.wait untill he geta a herd and go in and try to shooty them.Only problem is the goats are better at at geography and go through to a new range out of listening distance. We shot a mob of them and handed the collar in to be thanked as it was another of their lost souls.Miles from where it was supposed to be.
    There is still some rabbit shooting but the colese virus has slowed it down.There are rumours that the numbers are coming back. They Butcher the tahr with shotguns from helicopters in the national park.Considering tahr live above the snow line they dont do any one real harm and it is only hunters which put in the effort to climb up and get them it seems a waste to me. Any how enough of the misery there is still plenty of game around and we can shoot all year round so it is not all gloom and doom.
    On Stewart I's; well it is bordering the southern ocean and it blows a bit roaring fourties and all that,We had a 3month odessy with fishing rods and rifles down around the fiords and the islands surfing offthe southern ocean waves in fovaux so can't complain though longer would have been better. If you are ever over this way we should be able to jack up something.
    regards graham.

We have the same problem over here ! The dept of National parks & wild life became the dept of Heritage & conservation ! We've got Kids running the section that concerns us Pro shooters who were still in nappies when I'd shot my 1/2 million in Roos ! But they have the Book learning to tell me how many tags I'm allowed at any set time now ! We spend our spare time toying with ways of messing with their minds esp when they decide to come out & audit us of a night ! They don't seem to realise that most of us work right out bush & have the devils own tme finding us ! Most of our Goat culling has been handed over to the Sporting shooters these days! But I'm still getting the occasional contract . Bloody "1080" Whilst I admit it's a step up from strychnine & I've used it for "stiffening" Dogs for years ! It's still a evil drop ! Old blokes always tell of how a crow if it picks up a Bait will try & poision humans by dropping it in to a water supply ! Whilst a crow will do this, it is so they can wash the 1080 out of the meat! They have to be one of the only animals/birds that can't be poisioned! The new methord that is being tried over here for baiting is Pure cocaine this causes the animal to go into rapid Hypitermia resulting in death !

Dave

ok

Dave if they try cocain over here they would take a fair proportion of the human population not the animals.I could emvisage the junkies following the poison layers into the bush maybe they would dissapear for ever.May be the greenies have set you up to get their fix.I have heard that crows are clever,do you cull them? The old deer cullers shot deer by the thousands ,then the professional meat hunters took over using helicopters and cleaned out thousands more,once the govt started the 1080 they had ban the wild meat in case they poisoned the European customers.All venison from here is now farmed.It is not the same as the wild,which we eat.I understand where you are coming from from re the audits it is the modern beaurocrat's way of justifying there existence.Still we still manage to get s shot away now and then. Good Hunting May your eye be true
    Graham

I would love for any of our tree hugging junky mates to take one of the new baits as they are pure & would /will stiffen a human as fast as a Dog ,or a goat ! WE shoot crows out of hand over here due to the damage they do to our lamb crop ! as well as foxes ! My brother loses 20% of his crop each season to natural causes & so I'm kind of called in to do what I do best as I live on our Farm (small station ) I have a 220 swift that is just set up for ruining a Crows day! When I applied for the forrestry positon over your side of the creek itwas right at the end of the Gov culling of Deer . The whole deer farming thing was tried over here & I feel somebody made a quid out of it but it were'nt the farmers ! We have several herds of Fallow wandering round the state these days including one up the back of our place ! They come under the heading of Feral & so they are fair game to shooters . They have no commercial value to me so are of very little intrest apart from meat for the Freezer

Dave

ok

220 Swift gee thats going back a bit! There would not be many 22's around today any better. there was some muttering over here in my youth about them being a bit hard on barrels. Have you found this?.Do load it yourself? I toyed with the idea of a222 a few years ago for flat shooting on the tops but gave the idea away in favour of 300mag I guess i am the old school believes in bullet weight Graham

Graham,
    Like the .22-250, the .220Swift only eats barrels if you load to max. Anyone can cook a barrel quickly that way. If you load in the middle of the pressure range, you will double or triple the life of your barrel. In general, that's also where you find your most accurate loads with both rounds. Personally, I'll give up a few hundred feet per second to hit golf balls at 400yds.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Graham as Versifier says yes you can eat a barrel out in the swift if your not carefull ! In my misspent youth I once burned the throat out of a Sprinter barrel in my Swift in just over 500 rnds (driving a 40 gn pill at a little over 4000fps to prove it could be done ) The Barrel smith I delt with (long gone but his son now runs the show ) Damned near killed me when I took the rifle in to be rebarreled a month after he'd fitted the new barrel ! )
    If you keep your loads down to reasonable verlosities . 5/6000 rnds is possible before any signs of wear & tear! I once fell eyre to a .224 improved (22-303 ) that had the neck sharpened form 60deg to 45 deg ! It was built on a Pat 14 action.
    The rifle came with the advise of one load! Using a 52 gn bullet !!!!! (warning bells should have started to ring ) At 400yrds it would explode Crows ! I hit a Rabbit at 150 one night & it was blown into 3 peices (one of wich was inside out ) ! It was just too much hassel so I sold it to a mate ! He asked ,what it was the equivilent of? I made enquires with the origanal owner who muttered something about it being like a swift !!!!!!! (warning bells ringing now & sirens & flashing lights ) I passed this info off to the new owner ! In the comfort of the fact he was a competant reloader ect
    I got the phone call that you never want to recive The New owner had taken the said load & with out reduceing it (thinkng that it would be mild comming from a "Enfield" action & forgeting the PAT 14 is a enfield in name only ) Had used the load in his Swift !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It had taken several Blows with a Hammer to open the action& to the best of my knowlage there is still a reward offered to any one can find the primer from the fired case !!!!!!!!!!!!! AS the chap reckons it just was'nt there anymore!!!!! On asking the origanal owner how he came upon this load it was a case of just loading until the primer was backing out of the case& then backing off 1/2 a grain until he could extract the round ! Which also explained my only getting 4/5 loads out of a case & thinking I had better get the headspace checked !

Dave