Thread: T/C Scout Carbine 50 cal.

GunLoad Trainee

Default T/C Scout Carbine 50 cal.

Is anyone familar with this little rifle? What charges/loads might make it happy? I found it in a pawn shop for $90,quite unique I think. I am considering the Lee REAL mould.

Welcome to the asylum!

Good deal. In fact, very good deal.

I would suggest mounting the T/C or Williams peep sight on the tang. It should, depending on its age, be already drilled and tapped for it.

REALs, MaxiHunters, or MaxiBalls (Lyman makes a mould) will likely do well with it, but I'd also try a few different sabot loads (just to see how they do) with 70-110gr FFG or equivalent volumes of Pyrodex RS. PRB's with charges of 50-110gr. T/C sells bags of empty sabots that you can fill with your own cast .44 boolits, too. Every m/l barrel is different, and I believe yours has the the twist for slugs, but so is mine and it shoots PRB's and sabots MOA too. You just have to experiment.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks I appreciate your input,tang sight's ? I've never used them.The rifle was already scoped when bought.But I do like the idea.Also I have been reading this sight for months,and yesterday decided to join.There seems to be a great deal of knowledge among all you fine folks.And you don't mind answering a question.Thanks.

Considering the limited range of a m/l and that sometimes quick shots are the only ones you get, I prefer the speed and utility of receiver sights on my hunting rifles. I live in New England where the woods are thick and most shots are 50yds or less anyway. There is no sight faster or quicker onto a moving target: M1carbines, Garands, M16's all wear them and millions of us owe our lives to them. In fact, the only hunting rifle I own that has a scope on it is my varmint rifle.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775