Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag checks???

Default 44 mag checks???

Swapped for a super backhawk, should i order a gass hecked bullet mould or the tumble lube mould frme lee??
    Toney Relic Hunter

Hi Toney, neither if you ask me.
    I had terrible leading with the TL430-240 from LEE, as well as key-holing in one gun with shallow grooves; and GC is not necessary from my experience, unless the chambers are not reasonably in line with the barrel or the bullet is roughened up in some other way.

What I did one year ago was to buy the C430-310-RF from LEE with the idea to shorten it to 280something and get rid of the GC part; well I am still not done as I have to do it by hand , this shouldn't be a problem for you as I remember you got tools.
    I've been lubing my revolver bullets by hand for a couple of years now and it's not that bad, actually less messy than pan lubing.

kg

Do you want to plink, hunt, and/or shoot silhouettes with it? Cylinder throats can vary from chamber to chamber and can cause some problems with boolits that would not be an issue with jacketed. Check them out first and see how big they are and if they are all the same size. I think that you will only need to consider gas checks for hunting and silhouette competition, applications where you want to get higher velocity and use heavier boolits. For most plinking and paper targets, low vel, low pressure loads it's a matter of experimenting for the best boolit/lube combination that your revolver shoots well, and a pb boolit is really all you need. I have never owned a TL mould, but I use Liquid Alox for all my cast shooting and have no complaints so far. I think I would lean toward the C429-240-SWC as I know it will perform well if it's big enough in diameter for the revolver. You don't necessarily have to put a GC on it for decent results, either.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Toney I own 2 SBH's in .44 Mag & they have only ever seen cast bullets & never a Gas check in their lives ! I've had good results with the Lee Lube at lower verlosities.But I use traditional lubing so far for the higher verlosities .

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

pretty much all I shoot out of my 44 mag is Lyman 429421 245Grn SWC. and they seem to work great have loaded them real slow for plinking and have stepped them up to 1500 (non Gas Check bullet) and so far so good.
    Shoot out of a Virginian Dragoon with 8 3/4" of pipe also out of my Marlin.
    Ken
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

When I first started casting, gas checks were about 1/2 a cent a piece. Now, they are more like 3 cents each.

I still use them for a lot of my boolits, but 95% of the shooting the average person does can be done without gas checks.

I've found that even gas check designed boolits will shoot well bare footed with proper alloy, sizing, and lubrication.

It's easier to leave the check off the boolit than to put it on one that doesn't have the proper heel.

Thanks guys!!! Think i will try a 240gr non checked boot at around 1200fps, should do a whitetail
    Toney Relic Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Toney
    Thanks guys!!! Think i will try a 240gr non checked boot at around 1200fps, should do a whitetail

I don't think you'll get to many complaints from any White tail's that get in the way of that Combination

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

lovedogs

Something I like to look at is diameters before I order a mould. Slug your bbl. and order a mould that will drop bullets at least .001 over groove diameter. Use the right size bullet and a good lube and almost anything will work. At 1200 FPS you shouldn't need a GC. But if you later decide to kick up the speed you may want one. I use GC's but some don't and they seem to get along as good as I do.

GunLoad Trainee

personally I prefer gas checks because I shoot the 44mag for the big bang effect. if i want less kick I'll shoot my 38 special or 22. I like to max out my Super Blackhawk. Again , just personal preference. If lighter loads suit you then theres no need for the extra cost. Also a lot has to do with alloy composition and powder as someone else has allready mentioned.