Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody using Trail Boss?

Default Anybody using Trail Boss?

I'm curious about the exact density of that powder.
    How does it compare to other powders; for example how much space is needed for X grains of TrailBoss compared to X grains of another pistol powder?

Thanks in advance.

kg

GunLoad Trainee

I've been using it in my 45-70 and a Vaquero in the 45 Colt. It comes close to touching the bullets' base in the 45 Colt. In the 45-70 it fills up enough of the case you can't double charge. It's easy to run through my Lyman 55 measure. I'd say try out a 9 ounce bottle and see. I have had a little better groups using one of the lubes for the BPCR shooters as opposed to the 50/50 Alox/Beeswax. Good Luck

Thanks Mr Peabody; could you weight what it takes to fill a sized 38 Sp case flush, for example?

kg

GunLoad Trainee

As well as I can tell, the sized 38 special case runs 7.5 gr's flush to the case mouth. Hope that helps.

lovedogs

Mr. Peabody,

Could you give some details about your loadings for the .45-70 using Trail Boss? I've been quite happy with 5744 but am always interested in new info. Like, what bullet? Charge weight? Velocities? Gun model? Barrel length? You know, all the particulars... thanks!

Mike

Thank you Mr Peabody

GunLoad Trainee

Default Trail Boss Powder and the 45-70

Hey Lovedogs, I'll tell you what I've found out so far . First let me say I'm using one of the Uberti Highwalls sold by Navy Arms. It's a 28 inch barrel. First load is; 16.5 gr's of Trail Boss. W-W cases, Federal 210 primers, Lyman's 330 gr HP cast from a 1-20 mix and a lube designed for the BPCR shooting. The average deviation from shot to shot was 4.8 FPS, the extreme spread of velocity shot to shot was 18.1 FPS and the average velocity was 1284.1 FPS. Group of about 4 inch at 75 yards. Second load is; 15 gr's of Trail Boss, Lymans 457191; a plain base bullet cast from a wheel weight mix. Weighs in the neighborhood of 310gr's. NRA 50/50 lube, Starline cases, Winchester large rifle primers. Average devaition ran 6.9 FPS, the extreme spread was 34.1 Fps and the average velocity was 1244 FPS. I can shoot close to 2 inch groups at 75 yards with these. I think younger eyes could do better. The best so far has been the RCBS 325gr GCFP. In the Starline cases and using a Federal 210 primer with 16.5 gr's of Trail Boss I shoot cloverleafs at 75 yards. I'll clock this load too and let you know what I find out. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kg42
    I'm curious about the exact density of that powder.
    How does it compare to other powders; for example how much space is needed for X grains of TrailBoss compared to X grains of another pistol powder?

Thanks in advance.

kg
    Kg42,
    My little brother uses trail boss in his 22 hornet, and a full case is about 3 gr and it can hold almost 10 grs of any other powder.
    Hope this helps!
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

Thanks Daniel; what load and bullet does your brother use? What kind of accuracy do you get?

kg

lovedogs

Mr. Peabody... Thanks for your info. It's all very interesting. I wish there was more data out there on Trail Boss. Maybe as time goes by and it gets more use there will be. I'm interested in using it with 300 gr. cast and jacketed and 500 gr. cast bullets.

Mike