Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 loads

lovedogs

Hey, D-O-K... if you think you and yours get funny looks from the tourists let me tell you a story. You'll probably be giving me some funny looks when I get done.

For reasons too lengthy to explain on a forum I turned vegetarian (vegan, actually) several years ago. But I still believe strongly in the ethics of hunting. When I retired and moved back to Montana I got involved in helping put on a hunt for the handicapped ( no, we don't shoot at them... we put them in blinds and dog for them) . And due to a lifelong passion of hunting, and having worked for the
    U. S. Fish & Wildlife Service as a career, I am, without quesion, the best guide of the bunch. Not a brag. It's just a matter of experience. The funny part comes after the hunt when we are all sitting around telling of our hunts for antelope and deer and the guy who puts on the hunt shocks the hunters by telling them of the irony that his best guide is a vegetarian. There's always a moment of silence. But then someone always says it's really great that I still believe in the hunt ethic and am willing to help with the hunt. The rancher who puts the hunt on always puts the record straight when he declares that I might be a vegetarian but I'm still his best guide. Kind of funny, isn't it?

Are you giving me funny looks yet?

No strange Looks from this side of the Pond LD ! I reckon it's great that your doing something for a section of the hunting community that is quite often overlooked ! I dips me hat to you ! I worked a patch for several years that my nearest shooter was also a vegian & it never crossed my mind that he was in a strange line of work .Due to the fact of his choosen diet . I say Keep up the Good work Old son !!!!

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

lovedogs

Appreciate your attitude, d-o-k. It really makes my day when I can put a handicapped onto a good deer and see them take one home. You wouldn't believe how grateful they are. I also shoot all the antelope and deer I can and give them to needy folks. There are lots of elderly and single moms who can use the meat. I love the outdoors and hunting, am good at it, believe in it, and enjoy it even though I no longer eat it. I do miss a good whitetail steak though. Nothing better! Sneaking through the woods with a Contender or my old .45-70 buffalo rifle is what I live for.

I reckon what your doing is great ! Too many shooter's/Hunters seem to forget that we must put back into what we do ,from what we get out of it ! I've made a point over the years of taking people out to work with me for a variety of reasons ! Normaly their Kids who want to take up the Job & have no idea of what it intails ! I think that supplying the Needy (I mean that with the upmost respect for those who are struggleing with low pensions & high Food prices) Is one of the Highest callings that a hunter can forfill !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Dogs, I applaud your attitude, and for very personal reasons. You see, I am disabled, and I would not be able to hunt at all if it were not for a bunch of really caring and understanding friends. I am not on wheels yet, but I am not really steady on my feet and sound like an entire football team when walking through the woods. I just sneak in early and sit myself down where I have a good view of where everything's going to come along. It doesn't hurt that I load most of the ammo we all use, or that they can count on me to hit whatever gets pushed by me. I miss bird hunting the most, and I lost my 13yr old close working springer three years ago. In another year I should be living where I can safely replace her (I am living on a very busy road right at present.) A borrowed dog is just not the same.
    At first, it was very humiliating to have to admit that I could no longer hunt alone, but again, my friends understand and it seems like I have never had to ask. There's always an "aren't you coming with us?" phone call. I am very aware that I am incredibly lucky to be so rich in friends and that most in my position would be "Up Shit Creek without a paddle." The photo below is a good reminder to me of the importance of good friends in a man's life.
    What you do makes such a difference in the quality of a disabled person's life, and to ease the desparation of trying to put food on the family table with very limited resources is among the most worthwile things any person can do in this world. It may not seem like a big thing to you, but happiness is the sum of many, many little things taken together.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Veggies and people with reduced mobility are the least of my problems around guns
    I worked with both disabled and "normal" students (in non-gun stuff) and found the first category much more rewarding; it seems that sometimes brains and personalities won't develop in a healthy body....

kg

GunLoad Trainee

gents

Have just playing w reloading a new 45-70 w 3130 45 gr and behind a 300 lrn is milled and accurate

Cool

That'll work!

Some years ago I tried 52 or 53 IMR 3031 with the 457122 Lyman out of my Douglas barrelled Siamese Mauser. VERY stout, but the accuracy just wasn't what I wanted. I'm afraid the boolit was just a little undersized.
    Regards,

WE

GunLoad Trainee

I've tried up to 49gr. of 3031 behind a 330gr and 405gr cast with good results out of a T/C contender. Groups are decent until my hand begins to swell. Anywhere from 21-26 grains of 2400 with a 1/2" dracon fiber fill is much easier on the hand. These loads also work well in my 1895CB Marlin.

GunLoad Trainee

Default 45-70 Loads

Everybody still awake? Getting late here in Kansas but I got no place to go tomorrow anyway so I'll let the sun up before me. Hope everyone is staying well. I like reading all the "stuff" you guys put out. Keep all the good advice coming and the bad advice-as long as I know the difference! Seriously, I have learned a lot since I found this site.
    Some time ago I said I was going to buy a Marlin XLR in 45-70 (as soon as my BANKER-spelled w-i-f-e said I could) Well, she did and then I did! Its a beauty and I think heavier with the laminated stock. I decided my 60+ year old shoulder didn't need the trauma so I worked up a load using the new Trail Boss powder. I bought some starline brass, WW standard large primers and some .010 card wads. I have a RCBS 310 grain RNFP gas check design mould and used DGL lube and no gas check- just the card wad between the powder and the bullet. I started with 15 grains of Trail Boss- had some blowback. I increased up to 17.5 grains then back down to 16.5 grains with a firm crimp in the crimp groove. I started at 50 yards while chronographing (1280 FPS average) then went out as far as 200 yards shooting at steel silhouettes. First off, the recoil was almost as much as my current load in my Winchester in 44 mag but not quite. That resolved the recoil problem and the card wads work really well and the powder residue is almost nil after 50 rounds. The brass comes out with almost no residue and ready for the next reload. I also tried 56 grains of AA3100 which I had on the shelf under that same bullet and card wad. It shot very well too but had a little more recoil than I wanted. The bullet groups very well- within 1-2 inches at 100 yards consistently with the Trail Boss load.
    Just thought that you guys who are looking for some data on the Trail Boss Powder could use this. Take care out there!
    Dave