Thread: Turkey

Default Turkey

Dam lost another long post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost got one today!!! It went down hard flopped a little and died Then it got back up!!! I chased it for a hundred yard or so, seen the other bird fly across the creek but we did'nt fid it
    Toney Relic Hunter

I think I already heard that story.... xept it was a black bear that woke up and walked away from the hunter who was going to skin him ....or a few seconds short of the other way around

Got him yesterday morning right around 7. A Jake with a 4" beard.
    We had called them in a couple times in the late morning but always got busted before they got in range for the old h&r. So i got me a charles daly 12ga auto.
    It was around 6 when i waked in, the first time i called i did'nt here any thing but aroud 15yards in i spooked a turkey walking towards me on the road!!! A few more yards in a bird set'em off, i doubled back about 20yrds and set up on an trail intersection and every time i caled i set them off. when it got light enought to see there was a turkey in a tree around 60yds away. i think it took the around 20 minutes to fly down but when they came they cae in fast. The first one stoped at the edge of the trail {farm road} at 32yards, The CD dusted him.
    Toney Relic Hunter

lovedogs

Whenever I see how folks hunt turkeys I have to laugh. Everyone makes such a big deal over a bird so stupid it'll drown in the rain. All the fancy equipment, shotguns, calling, etc. Here we have to use a scattergun in the spring season so I don't bother. But in the fall we can use anything. I just go for a walk in the woods. When I come across a gobbler I just sneaks up on him and shoots 'em in the head with a .22. No running, flopping, or nuthin'... just a nice, whole bird with no shot to pick out. Easiest thing in the world to hunt.

That's a sure sign of little or no hunting pressure. They have just been moving into my end of the state in the last few years. (But you have to keep in mind that the domestic ones have been bred to be stupid intentionally.) It's shotguns only for gobblers here in the spring and archery for anything in the fall. Rifles and handguns are taboo, but that doesn't stop most of my neighbors when a whole flock comes trouping through the yard. Camo isn't really needed for them up here yet, either, as they are still pretty much clueless.
    Similarly, while we have a large resident population of doves here, too, there is no season on them and you can walk right up to a flock and take out a dozen with a wrist rocket before they realize somethings's up. Or one blast of the shotgun out the back door under the bird feeder will get you fifteen or twenty if you know the gun's pattern well enough.
    I have also hunted both birds in PA where my brother used to live and there is a lot of hunting pressure. You wouldn't know they were the same species. For turkeys they have to use face masks or makeup, camo tape on the guns, sit still and not move an inch. Doves down there duck and roll when you fire at them on the wing - that's if they flush close enough to you that you can even get a shot off at the little buggers. I'm not the world's best shotgunner, but I can hit the occasional woodcock and bring home a few partridges from time to time with my trusty 20ga. They laughed at me when I showed up with my little 870. Everybody down there seems to use 12's, and some have 3" mags like waterfowlers prefer around here. I guess anyone will get smart pretty quick being shot at, even brids....
    Last edited by versifier; 04-27-2006 at 05:12 PM.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Lovedogs: I too have taken turkey easily, The last two were taken out of the trees in my yard after my German Shepherd busted the flock that came to investigate his barking. But I have also hunted some old gobblers that are the kind thatmake a trophy. They don't get old by being dumb! Try tricking one of those by lying that you are a sexy hen and see if you still think it's easy. I can tell you their eyes are sharp as eagles, their ability of using cover to cover their approach, their triangleazation of your location from a distance, and speed of departure when they smell a rat will impress you.

Versifier: Where I grew up we had hundreds, sometimes thousands, of doves in the fall. With water being scarce, good shooting can be had at water holes, dirt tanks we called them, after the morning feed, and again in the evening. Wheat fields that have overgrown in the summer with prarie sunflowers and still offer some grain or recently harvested milo fields are hotspots. Some areas are known roosts, such as china berry groves, and can attract astounding numbers of birds. I know of one such grove that has attracted doves in such numbers for years that it now commands much too high of a price for me. I have stood near it in the late evening and had so many to pick from that it is hard to keep tracking one bird with your gun. After a week or two of heavy shooting, those little guys can pull antics that would turn a fighter pilot green with envy. I've had out of state hunters that got in on opening day wonder what all the talk about difficult targets was about, then a few weeks later curse the crazy flying idiots and bemoan 3 birds for a box of shells.

I ended up with 2 jakes, had a blast!!! they got wise fast i only hunted them 5 times.
    Conne missed one she had not shot the gun before and never at a turkey
    Toney Relic Hunter